Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The year of the buck

Kaiser878

ohio
I said it earlier this year, but I can't find where I posted it. But it appears to already be the case, and they keep falling. This is the most early season bucks I've seen fall in quite a few years.... but what makes it the yesr of the buck is the quality of them. Between last year's giant acorn crop and this springs super wet conditions, it's created a perfect storm for large antlers. I'm excited to see what else falls this year

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Ya this Tapatalk app confuses the shit out if me. I'm not great with technology as it is
It's not as easy on Tapatalk. Click on your username, then click on Replies. It'll have two sections, one is Started By and the other is Replies. Not as streamlined as the web/PC version, but it works.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Yeah, I'm not seeing it where I hunt. I believe it though from what I've seen here.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Combine those factors with diminishing doe populations and there will be some serious big bucks die in the next 30-45 days.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have been getting new bucks on cam almost every week. Some stick around and others move on. Seeing some nice bucks on cam though. Also seeing a lot of messed up funky racks this year on the younger bucks. No idea why, if it's just a crazy gene or if the rapid growth this year has something to do with it. Will have to keep an eye on them and see if they are the same crazy racks next year on these same bucks.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Let's not forget to take into account that there's a shitload of hunters out there TOO! How many more hunters have been baiting and running cameras all summer.
I totally agree wet springs and early summers and high abundance of AG and mast helps fortify antler growth but with the increase in hunter numbers and advancement of weaponry sure helps in hunter success.