Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anybody want to take a guess at what happened?

Bigcountry40

I orginally thought it was a very bad shot angel where the deer was walking away from the hunter almost directly under the stand, but with closer examination it looks like the deer has warts all over its body. Anybody have a opinion or clue? disease, arrow, car fence? 1966.jpeg20151004_152333.jpg20151010_225305.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It looks like two different deer to me? A button and a doe. My guess would have to go towards coyotes at this point.

Agree with the two different deer as the wounds are different as well... As too what caused it??? Vehicle? Yotes? Who knows....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I killed a button buck at our land 3 years ago that had something like that. Only it wasn't fresh like that wound, it was yellow, pus filled, and down to its spine. It was fuggin nasty.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't think it's a hunter-inflicted wound. Looks to me like a tumor or infection that busted open after swelling. Maybe even bit by a brown recluse spider?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Deer are such amazing critters when it comes to recovering from an injury.
Car/truck wounds, road rash, bullet and arrow wounds and least we forget impalement from sticks while blasting down the woods on a dead run or fence wire.

(of course some are fubar. )

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
You had to leave that deer lay over night and its not the broadheads fault. But if someone hit that deer with a rage that's all We would here about.

Diablo54

Outside
You had to leave that deer lay over night and its not the broadheads fault. But if someone hit that deer with a rage that's all We would here about.

Here we go. The deer laid all night because of shot placement. Not because of the broad head. A rage would have left you with the same result on that shot. Gut shots are what they are. This is why I give everyone crap about rage. They get all upset.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Well ya, people are going to get upset when you have no business talking crap about what broadhead he chooses. No hard feelings, just getting kinda tired of it.

Diablo54

Outside
Well ya, people are going to get upset when you have no business talking crap about what broadhead he chooses. No hard feelings, just getting kinda tired of it.

This is a hunting forum. We are going to disagree and share opinions. Sorry if you don't like mine. But I have a good point. I made a joke and an obvious observation in another thread that's all.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Perhaps what you consider crap talking is actually based upon season after season of watching people lose deer due to said broadhead. Hard to believe I know, but some of have been around long enough to have seen a pattern. If you don't believe me google rages lack of penetration, it's not like people make this stuff up, it's a well know issue with the head.