Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lead Sled

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I'm going to sight in my new muzzloader tomorrow and shoot a couple rifles. I got a lead sled and this will be the first time I've ever used one. I set it up in the garage. Any of you guys used one before? If so does this setup look right? I think it is but figured I'd see what you guys thought.

uploadfromtaptalk1444421431897.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't know a thing about them, but looks right to me. I guess it could be one of those fun deals where you say, "Well, lets see how this turns out". :)

antiqucycle

East Ohio
They are expensive. I think the biggest mistake is using it to zero in, then going home without actually practicing from a standing or sitting position without the lead sled.
I see too many people with all sorts of rests who never just stand up and practice what they will be doing in the woods.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They are expensive. I think the biggest mistake is using it to zero in, then going home without actually practicing from a standing or sitting position without the lead sled.
I see too many people with all sorts of rests who never just stand up and practice what they will be doing in the woods.

Then again, a shot without a solid rest is not a shot to take... at least that is my belief these days.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I have one just like this one. I tried using it to sight in my shotgun with the slug barrel on. However there was a problem and I think you might have the same problem with your muzzy. With my shotgun being a pump there was no way to keep it strapped in and reload it. Therefore there is no way of knowing that your gun is shooting from the same position every time. With having to reload your muzzy after every shot I think you will run into the same problem.

Just my thoughts.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I have one just like this one. I tried using it to sight in my shotgun with the slug barrel on. However there was a problem and I think you might have the same problem with your muzzy. With my shotgun being a pump there was no way to keep it strapped in and reload it. Therefore there is no way of knowing that your gun is shooting from the same position every time. With having to reload your muzzy after every shot I think you will run into the same problem.

Just my thoughts.
Yup. I figure that will be an issue. The scope has been boresighted so hopefully it's already close. I just want to get a good group using this rest. I'm not as picky sighting in guns as I am with a bow.

Lundy

Don't use that strap on the front and it will work well for you. I use one for sighting in all of my guns

cooperve

coshocton
A lead sled can be real hard on an old or cheap scope. It took about five shots from my Remington 1100 slug gun with 2-3/4" shells to break the cross hair in my old Traditional Redfield scope.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A lead sled can be real hard on an old or cheap scope. It took about five shots from my Remington 1100 slug gun with 2-3/4" shells to break the cross hair in my old Traditional Redfield scope.

Was your scope a shotgun scope or a rifle scope? Just curious.... What was the objective of it?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Was your scope a shotgun scope or a rifle scope? Just curious.... What was the objective of it?

Not trying to bust any balls here but old and cheap scopes just break on their own as it's just a matter of when.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not trying to bust any balls here but old and cheap scopes just break on their own as it's just a matter of when.

Gotcha, was just wondering if e scope was a "shotgun" scope or a rifle scope. Always heard non shotgun scopes wouldn't last due too the recoil difference.... Smaller reticle was more beefier so too speak too withstand it from my understanding....

I would much rather nail down a gun like that and make sure it's 100% on before anything else. Practice is always a good idea without something like a lead sled but I am like Brock in that I will make sure I have a good rest when it comes time.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Gotcha, was just wondering if e scope was a "shotgun" scope or a rifle scope. Always heard non shotgun scopes wouldn't last due too the recoil difference.... Smaller reticle was more beefier so too speak too withstand it from my understanding....

'J' my comment wasn't aimed at you. I don't hold any truth in non shotgun not holding up to heavy recoil. I'm sure a 375 H&H or 416 Rem Mag or any of the big magnum rifles will be harder on a scope that a shotgun.
I have a custom Rem 700 in 375 H&H that weights 6.5 lbs empty with a Leupold compact scope that holds up fine. The rifle does have a spring loaded recoil pad and muzzle break and recoils less than a 30-06 but still the shock is there before it gets to the recoil pad and is dampened .
Now magnum pistols are rough on scopes and only handgun scope I would trust 20-25 yrs ago was a Burris. Had a Leupold scope fall apart inside on a S&W 41 22LR pistol.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
'J' my comment wasn't aimed at you. I don't hold any truth in non shotgun not holding up to heavy recoil. I'm sure a 375 H&H or 416 Rem Mag or any of the big magnum rifles will be harder on a scope that a shotgun.
I have a custom Rem 700 in 375 H&H that weights 6.5 lbs empty with a Leupold compact scope that holds up fine. The rifle does have a spring loaded recoil pad and muzzle break and recoils less than a 30-06 but still the shock is there before it gets to the recoil pad and is dampened .
Now magnum pistols are rough on scopes and only handgun scope I would trust 20-25 yrs ago was a Burris. Had a Leupold scope fall apart inside on a S&W 41 22LR pistol.

Didn't take it as you calling me out at all Frank, just trying too see if what I've heard all these years about shotgun scope vs rifle scopes held any water is all....

Always heard use less than 40 objective in a shotgun scope as once you got too 40 and above they were more fragile....

cooperve

coshocton
The Traditional Redfield was probably a 1970's vintage. Four power with a heavy post and horizontal crosshair. It was on the slug gun for probably 10 years. I also had one like it with the same post and horizontal cross hair on a .50 caliber muzzle loader for about 10 years. No problem until I put one of them on a lead sled. Love that scope for deer hunting. I only have one left and it will not go on a lead sled rest.

With all this said it could have been it's time, but I have also heard other lead sled scope failure stories.

runhunter

I had one and loved it, but I sold it. Recoil has never bothered me or caused flinching, so I realized it just became an expensive gun cleaning vise

Lundy

I would much rather nail down a gun like that and make sure it's 100% on before anything else. Practice is always a good idea without something like a lead sled but I am like Brock in that I will make sure I have a good rest when it comes time.

Not sure, but if you are implying that you would use the front strap to secure the fore end and barrel during sighting in or not. I would encourage anyone not to do so because you do not and can not duplicate that restricted hold in the field short of hunting with your lead sled. Let the barrel either move free at the shot or slightly restrain with your left hand to replicate actual field conditions. Impact point of a restrained barrel versus not restrained will be different. The amount of difference will be dictated by the variables of the gun, the load (time bullet is in barrel), the distance and most importantly the shooters expertise on pulling the trigger.

If you are shooting a gun that throws larger groups and at shorter yardages it will not make a difference you will notice either way.:D

Lundy

I've had too many scopes fail over the last 4-5 years. I have been a Leopold guy for a long time but they are the ones that have failed on me. Some were pretty old scopes however and all of my scopes have 40 mm or larger objective lens. I have a few Burrus Ballistic plex scopes, most are 3x9x40 and those things just keep on working and holding zero like a scope of around $200 should not be able to do. They should have died years ago but just keep on working great. When I purchase new scopes now they are either the Burris Ballistic plex or the Zeiss Conquest depending on the type of gun they are intended to go on. I just can't go Leopold anymore.