Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need help getting rid of deer in the burbs

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
My sister lives in the burbs. Its a nice neighborhood. They are not allowed to have fences. She loves to garden flower beds and such. She has been trying for years to keep the many deer around from eating her flowers and scrubs.
Trying everything that's can be found on the net with zero success. I know the TOO nation is better suited to get rid of deer by killing them but this is not possible in her area. Cant have a damn dog outside barking all night either.
Anyone know a sure fire way to keep deer from eating her plants? Thanks for any help.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Ive heard human hair deters them...have her go to a barber shop and then sprinkle some hair around the ground by her plants..

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
My dad has had the same problem with his garden. Daggum deer kept getting on it. He figured out a way. He hooked up a waterhose to a sensor thing. So whenever you walk on front of the sensor the water sprays on ya....rotflmao it works.

rsmith

Haha or you can go back to the good ol' "shoot em' with a paintball gun" idea. Avon does it haha

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
In all seriousness, human hair works well. So do some of the repellants on the market. Only issue with the repellants is they are pricey and need applied after big rains.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I didn't read that there can't be any "poles".

Have her pound in a few poles and hang wind chimes, aluminum foil, those little twirrly bird things that spin with the wind.....lots of options.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Or, she could just post signs "No Eating the Hostas/Flowers" - it's a proven fact that deer pay attention to signage, for example the Deer Crossing signs on the road (they cross there)

(I'm sorry again - I just couldn't help it - Lord forgive me and bless all the little pygmy childrens :smiley_depressive:)
(and yeah, listen to the guys about the human hair)

Or, she could just post signs "No Eating the Hostas/Flowers" - it's a proven fact that deer pay attention to signage, for example the Deer Crossing signs on the road (they cross there)

(I'm sorry again - I just couldn't help it - Lord forgive me and bless all the little pygmy childrens :smiley_depressive:)

Damn, kinda reminds me of the Gun Free Zone program!! That makes Soooooo much sense now!! LOL!

[video=youtube;ozJTenNzUKM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozJTenNzUKM[/video]

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

Lmao! Dan is on a roll.