Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thoughts on a lever action

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have a 44mag lever action. Stainless steel with laminate stock. I am not a big fan of the stock open sights.

Options I am considering:

1) Skinner peep sight. Can get in stainless, fast and can be accurate and keeps it semi authentic looking for a lever action. Disadvantage is having to play with front sight height as they are only adjustable for windage.

2) Low power scope. Do I get it in stainless finish to keep the look or not a big deal? Going stainless limits my options considerably. Otherwise I am thinking either a 1-6 or a 2-7ish.

I have one of the leupold patrol optics (1.25-4) on another rifle I could transfer it to but am open to other ideas.

This is going to be used for deer hunting from up close through 125 yards. Jump shooting, still hunting and sitting. Eventually also for others to use such as my son.

Wmiller07

I have a 44mag lever action. Stainless steel with laminate stock. I am not a big fan of the stock open sights.

Options I am considering:

1) Skinner peep sight. Can get in stainless, fast and can be accurate and keeps it semi authentic looking for a lever action. Disadvantage is having to play with front sight height as they are only adjustable for windage.

2) Low power scope. Do I get it in stainless finish to keep the look or not a big deal? Going stainless limits my options considerably. Otherwise I am thinking either a 1-6 or a 2-7ish.

I have one of the leupold patrol optics (1.25-4) on another rifle I could transfer it to but am open to other ideas.

This is going to be used for deer hunting from up close through 125 yards. Jump shooting, still hunting and sitting. Eventually also for others to use such as my son.

The stainless would look cool but I don't think it's necessary. I have a 2-7 Burris fullfield II on my AR that I like a lot. Having said that if I would have had the money for a nice scope I would ha e gone with a 1-4 or 1-6.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I'm 52 and my ability to use irons is rapidly declining. I'm a big fan of low power scopes (1.5-2x on the low end), I personally feel they are as fast if not faster than irons.

As far as color I've used mat blue scopes on a stainless ml for years.

The skinner peeps are nice. I typically replace the irons on my lever actions with marbles buck horn sights. My 45/70 has a weaver a 1-3x20 on it . On the 1x power it is very fast like a red dot. Getting Scope and ring height right is critical on lever actions because they typically have low stock combs and the reciever rises higher from the tang than a bolt action. Go with a matte scope.the silver scopes never match the stainless polish or bead blast.

Last edited:

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
I have a 3 X 9 on my Marlin .44. With my ole eyes I need it, 3 is good for close in and if a open shot, say 100 yards and in, 9 covers it.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Scope only here and color makes no difference as I consider a firearm just a tool to get the job done as best as possible.
I'm not into authentic I just want the job done well. But I understand your side.
I do like a rather compact scope though.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Scope only here and color makes no difference as I consider a firearm just a tool to get the job done as best as possible.
I'm not into authentic I just want the job done well. But I understand your side.
I do like a rather compact scope though.

I had the Simmons Pro Diamond (2x) and loved it on my slug gun, bought the Nikon 4X for my 220 Savage and like it as well but getting on target was much faster with the Simmons.....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had the Simmons Pro Diamond (2x) and loved it on my slug gun, bought the Nikon 4X for my 220 Savage and like it as well but getting on target was much faster with the Simmons.....

Lower power seems to be faster. Always use a 2 power on hunting handgun as 4 power difficult to locate anything quickly.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I put a scope on and off my Marlin 44 carbine I don't know how many times. Lol
I felt it tainted the purity of the lever however, as I have aged, I have come to feel I would rather make a shot placement over pride. If you go that route you may need the side bar on the hammer to cock it if the scope sits over the hammer.

Good luck with the decision. You can always take it back off but I found them to be quick to put into action too.