Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

smokeless MZ

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Hey fellas, I remember reading a thread about building smokeless muzzleloader.

If I recall there was some conversation using a TC barrel. Has anyone built something on a Savage CF action, etc.

looking for input, because eim reading some interesting things on them again this year.

thanks for the input.

I have a factory Savage Muzzle loader

I bought it a few years back when they made a run of them

It is a great to load 40 some gr of rifle powder in it
Clean up is simple

I don't think Savage makes them all the time
But dose specail runs for a supplyer now and then

As I understand it , the "Smokeless" part isn't allowed in all states

Also when you buy a Savage .....You fill out the same paperwork as a center fire rifle .....as It can be converted to one if you want

John

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had the Savage smokeless 2 years ago but never fired it. At that time it was classed as a regular ML and no paperwork was required. I bought 9 rifles when they closed them out and sold them all.
I took a factory TC Encore 45-70 barrel and had the chamber area threaded for a Savage type smokeless breach plug and shoot a smokeless rifle power in it. Matter of fact I use a duples load of 2 different powders. 10 gr. as a stater and 60 gr as a full load. Use a sabot with a 40 caliber Hornady plastic tip bullet and it shoots great and dropped both deer I've taken. I even built 2 of the same type on factory TC Encore 45-70 barrels for if the grandsons wants to go hunting with me.

There is a company in Indiana the does this work and is the go to for the conversion.
Also I would visit the net forum of Dougsmessageboards as they have a complete forum on smokeless ML shooting. There is also a guy on that forum that does conversions on the Encore, Savage, and Remington ML actions. The Remington 700 black powder ML rifle can be bought really cheap and have a great start for a smokeless conversion.

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/board/23

Link to SMI conversions. I have 1 if these conversion and it is great.
http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've got a Savage. It shipped to my door 5 years ago. Love it.

I believe the 1st design was converted to a centerfire easy so AFT declared it a firearm as it used a regular centerfire bolt with a short shell as a primer. The 2nd design is not convertable so ATF declared it a ML.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
I believe the 1st design was converted to a centerfire easy so AFT declared it a firearm as it used a regular centerfire bolt with a short shell as a primer. The 2nd design is not convertable so ATF declared it a ML.

Correct, just called Savage. No special runs, and wont make it it he custom shop because they have no parts for them.

I have a call into the In company. Will advise.

Lundy

I have a Savage 50 cal and 2 custom Savage with 45 cal barrels. I have been shooting smokeless for quite a few years.

You do not need to fill out paper work for the government for any Savage muzzleloader except the very first production run guns that had a different bolt configuration. You don't want those first guns anyway.

Yes a TC 45/70 can be converted and yes conversions are being done on Savage center fire platforms also along with a bunch of Remington 700 MZ's. You will see a bunch of guys have gone to sabotless loads, .40, .416, etc. The .416 crowd are shooting heavy higher BC bullets with stout powder loads and stretching these guns way out past 300 yds with sub MOA accuracy. However that comes with a lot of recoil and muzzle breaks. The .40 sabotless is popular because it is mild recoil and easy to set up the two most common bullets, Barnes 195 gr and the SST 200 gr. to fit the bore

I shoot aftermarket 45 cal barrels, shoot 195 gr Barnes with a sabot, 2650 FPS, extremely accurate, low recoil, point and shoot to 200 yds with ease. These do all I need so I have not ventured into the sabotless world but if I did it would be a .40 cal. Send me a message and a phone number and I can walk through the basics because there is a lot of information to work through.

The pioneers of the smokeless MZ's are at the below link. There are 5-6 guys on there that build or assist in the builds, a few of them in Ohio. Everything you need to know or need to obtain is there. Be prepared to do a bunch of reading as there is a wealth of knowledge to be had.

I do have a 50 cal/SS/laminate stock Savage that I will probably sell soon, but if you have checked pricing they are not an inexpensive gun.

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/board/23/savage-smokeless-muzzleloading

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
So what price should I expect to get a 45 call that can shoot like the one you have?

Don't let the price scare you off. It's a lifetime investment.
I have about 700-800 in my TC Encore 45-70 smokeless conversion.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Don't let the price scare you off. It's a lifetime investment.
I have about 700-800 in my TC Encore 45-70 smokeless conversion.
The price won't scare me off I just need to know how many brownie points I'm going to burn with the wife. We have an agreement over my gun buying an accessory buying budget every year I just need to know how to fit it in.

Wmiller07

The price won't scare me off I just need to know how many brownie points I'm going to burn with the wife. We have an agreement over my gun buying an accessory buying budget every year I just need to know how to fit it in.

Isn't that a fun conversation? It usually consists of me whining for a few days until she can't take it anymore.

Lundy

Once you have a Savage or a Rem 700 platform to build on you would expect between $$600-1,000. The custom barrel will be around $500 ish

You could convert a break open gun for less cost

You can occasionally find complete builds for sale as the owners move on the new calibers and ideas for $1300- 1700 depending on the build

Lundy

I'm glad I bought my factory gun when I did!

You should be. Go to gunbroker and take a look at what they are asking for them. You can find them occasionally for less than that but people are paying those prices on there.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You should be. Go to gunbroker and take a look at what they are asking for them. You can find them occasionally for less than that but people are paying those prices on there.

Only wished I would have waited on the 9 NIB savage rifles I sold. But I sold them and got a free TC Encore 45-70 conversion so I'm good. I may have even paid for both of my 2 Encore conversions.