Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I wonder?

Steelheadtracker

I just got to thinking about how dogs get chipped and then they can track their location when they are lost. I wonder if some of the high fence hunting operations chip their deer so they can locate the area they are in to guarantee their client gets a buck for their money. What do you guys think?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Never heard of dogs being tracked by chips before. That would have to be pretty rare. I mean, they don't even do that for monitoring waterfowl and other migratory birds. All of the tracking equipment they use is backpack-style GPS transmitters. If they had something small enough to implant under the skin and track via satellite, why wouldn't they use those for fowl?

Steelheadtracker

I don't recall. Maybe I'm wrong and it couldn't do it. I swear I remember it did but I just asked my wife and she doesn't remember that so I'm probably just senile and crazy lol. Sorry.

Kaiser878

ohio
The chips in dogs are not gps. They have to be "wanded" at close distance, like 2 inches. They are more of an internal bar code. I attempted to put them in trail cams. Until I realized this

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I always thought putting a gps chip in a nock would be cool. It would come off as the arrow is passing through and stay in the animal. Make findING wounded deer a lot easier.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Implant chips are RFID and require a reader to be close like kaiser said. They're passive chips meaning they don't transmit a signal or require a battery.

Chips that transmit signals like GPS are still rather expensive and about the size of a Lemmon. They use them mostly for tracking marine wildlife like whales, sharks, etc.

The one above for dogs is worn on their collar and requires recharging. They also use them for putting collars on wildlife for tracking purposes.

Technology hasn't been able to make one small enough for implantation a of yet. Someday it will happen but we need to invent smaller longer lasting power sources.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Ill have to look into this more but Our dogs chip is in his leg. If he is stolen I can call a number and they can track the dog wherever he is at. So they say. Lojack for dogs