Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Age this deer

Milo

Tatonka guide.
image.jpgthis was taken last weekend... THAT is a late, late fawn

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't really think that fawn is that far behind. A month ago, every fawn I had pics of looked like that. Just over the last few weeks, it's sometimes hard to tell mom from baby. They seem to grow a lot once the spots disappear, actually, it's just easier for folks to shoot 'em once the spots are gone. :)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't really think that fawn is that far behind. A month ago, every fawn I had pics of looked like that. Just over the last few weeks, it's sometimes hard to tell mom from baby. They seem to grow a lot once the spots disappear, actually, it's just easier for folks to shoot 'em once the spots are gone. :)
I agree. I passed up a doe with twins on Saturday... Both of them still had spots.

Kaiser878

ohio
Am I the only one who's mouth is watering? I mean seriously.... can u imagine how delicious the straps out of that little fugger would be? No knife needed when cooked. It would be like a twizzler pull and peel.

brancher147

If they were born a month late, then that means peak breeding occurred in December. Unless this is true, I would say they are probably just some small ones, there can be a variation from year to year in fawn size.

Kaiser878

ohio
If they were born a month late, then that means peak breeding occurred in December. Unless this is true, I would say they are probably just some small ones, there can be a variation from year to year in fawn size.
Peak breaking is most Def not ever in december. Deer get bred from September to late january. Peak is always in nov..... there are late fawns for a multitude of reasons. Brock and Brian covered them for the most part. Some does just don't get bred their first heat cycle. So they have another and another until they are bred.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Am I the only one who's mouth is watering? I mean seriously.... can u imagine how delicious the straps out of that little fugger would be? No knife needed when cooked. It would be like a twizzler pull and peel.
I'm with ya bud. Not a whole lot of things in life that I enjoy more than 6-month old venison backstraps!