Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need you opinion

rsmith

Buddy shot a deer, blood on arrow looks iffy to me. What you guys think? Looks like some brown slime mixed in to me at least. uploadfromtaptalk1443744738798.jpg

One thing with gut shot deer is they don't typically go far so a lot of times as long as you can get on a little blood and you have a pretty good nose (I can usual smell it even in cooler weather) you can find them by nose but other than that use common thought when deer tracking and check any beds you find for blood as although they usually die in first bed I have tracked them to a few beds where the only blood was in the beds themselves

rsmith

Well guys, he perused the deer and found it 50 yards from the stand! Using rage hypodermics. Suprised the heck out of me but super happy for him!

Also don't get to aggressive if you bump deer out of beds just back out for a couple hours and come back don't chance it hoping it's dead. As a side note take your bow as you might find it in its bed still alive but it's too weak to move

rsmith

You guys were right though it was a quarter to right lung shot and out through guts he said. Risky shot? Yes for sure. Did it do the job though yes.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You guys were right though it was a quarter to right lung shot and out through guts he said. Risky shot? Yes for sure. Did it do the job though yes.

We learn from our mistakes.... Hopefully he realizes his mistake.... Luckily it worked out for him.....

rsmith

I hope so as well. He said it was pretty dark and quartering too pretty good, after the talk from he I hope he learned it is better to pass and get back at it another day than risk injuring a animal

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know your buddy. For me personally? Hard quarter to shot? At dark? For as much meat as I would get off my dog? I would pass. Just me. Hate to sound like I am bashing him. It is not a high percentage shot and it is what gives hunters a bad name. I am glad you guys found it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I don't know your buddy. For me personally? Hard quarter to shot? At dark? For as much meat as I would get off my dog? I would pass. Just me. Hate to sound like I am bashing him. It is not a high percentage shot and it is what gives hunters a bad name. I am glad you guys found it.
Exactly.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Wish i could say that i didn't make any mistakes when i first started bow hunting but i did and after more than twenty years i'm just starting to get a handle on it lol. Congrats to your buddy!!!

rsmith

Oh I'm right there with you on everything you said don't worry. The exact same thoughts came to mind for me as well. I also wasn't there he was texting me about it while I was at work.