Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coon Proof Deer Feeder

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Yes there is such a thing now. Coons were getting to my gravity feeder and would empty 200# of golden nuggets in about 5-7 days. We tried to deter them with not much luck until now. First we put flashing on the post to cover about 48" at the bottom. It worked for a couple days until they figured out to put their front feet on the back of the post and back feet on the front. Thus would shimmy up the pole, out the arm, down the cable and onto the feeder. 20150614_132721.jpg...20150614_132603.jpg Braydon and I then attached "sharks teeth" to the top of the flashing. They gained a little blood and hair but did little to save the feed. Then I came up with another idea. We took a black plastic 55 gallon drum and cut the bottom off to about 15". We then cut a square out in the middle of the bottom to match our 4"x4" post. We then split the drum up the side and across to the center square. I nailed 4-2x4's onto the post to stick out each direction for support 20150929_202409.jpg (I'm no artist, but attached them in this pattern). Then the drum was fed onto the post and screwed in place. The split in the drum was fastened back together with metal straps and bolts. (Sharks Teeth are up inside the drum). Now when the coons get up inside the drum, they are at a dead end and nothing but the sharks teeth to keep them company. 20150901_181804.jpg I have kept an eye on this feeder for 2 weeks now and the feed is still fine except for what the deer have taken. I washed the feeder down with water and no coon prints have showed as of yet!

Big Weff

Athens
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Moul...=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03609949&rid=20

I have the same problem but its with this feeder. Havent figured out a way to keep them off yet. I have pictures of them sitting on the top of the feeder. No idea how they managed that shit.
I had that problem too so I just took chicken wire and made a sort of cage around the throwing mec. Although my biggest problem was the damn squirrels, they actually chewed a hole threw the hard plastic top so I had to cover that with a sheet of aluminum. Persistent bastards

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I had that problem too so I just took chicken wire and made a sort of cage around the throwing mec. Although my biggest problem was the damn squirrels, they actually chewed a hole threw the hard plastic top so I had to cover that with a sheet of aluminum. Persistent bastards

I let mine run out of corn and they got pissed off and ate about 1/4th of the lid too.

brancher147

There is one guaranteed way to save your feeders, get rid of them and quit feeding corn. I did it years ago, and have had much better success since then hunting terrain features and natural food sources, and a lot less aggravation.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
There is one guaranteed way to save your feeders, get rid of them and quit feeding corn. I did it years ago, and have had much better success since then hunting terrain features and natural food sources, and a lot less aggravation.

My feeders are for suppliment food and are away from where I hunt.

brancher147

I figured that would be the reaction I would get. Just trying to share something that has helped me, and could possibly help others. I guess some people are just afraid of anything that is different, not me, I welcome it. And having different hunting strategies and developing my own style of hunting has helped me more than anything.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
See the issue is you assume people are hunting over the corn, rather than using it as a supplement. And we all know what happens when you assume...

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Haha.knew that would get ya.
I have never shot a buck over bait but it is legal so dont car if someone does or doesn't.
Its good you're a developer.lol
Whats so different about hunting terrain features ?guys have been doing that for years.Nothing new to be developed there.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I figured that would be the reaction I would get. Just trying to share something that has helped me, and could possibly help others. I guess some people are just afraid of anything that is different, not me, I welcome it. And having different hunting strategies and developing my own style of hunting has helped me more than anything.

Feel free to start a thread about it. Sounds interesting enough and we like you are always looking for new methods and ways. That would go a long ways towards generating discussion on the topic rather than posting it in a thread about how to keep coons out of the feeder.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio

That's cool but nobody mentioned hunting over the feeder.