Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Redcloud's 2015 doing's

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm late to the party but I figure I might as well start one anyway lol.

Few weeks ago I ended up buying that crossbow off of Rick that he let me borrow for last season. I ended up getting everything dialed in with the new bolts and broadheads. I just hope it remembers last season and remembers how to put things down.

Saturday morning I ended up meeting Dante and his son Jesse at one of our properties at 5:30 and coming up with a gameplan for the morning hunt. Jesse had already walked to the stand he was planning on hunting before I got there but I knew where he would be sitting. I ended up waiting for him to get all settled in before I headed off in that direction. Dave headed off across the road and sat at the back of the cut bean field.

As I walked into the woods I jumped something and could just tell it was a small bodied deer. I ended up sitting in the spot that I shot my coyote and watched several bucks chase does last fall. Just after 7 I seen movement but with the thick undergrowth that still has leaves it was hard to tell what it was. I could only see legs and occasionally a body here and there. Turned out to be 3 bucks looking for acorns and wondering around on the way back to bed. I had the small forkhorn buck circle all the way around me trying to figure out what this thing was sitting on the ground. His buddy was a decent young 8pt buck and he just looked around trying to figure out what his buddy was doing running around like an idiot. After about 10-15 minutes the smaller buck walked off taking his buddy with him. About 10 minutes later they came back and again the smaller buck ran all the way around me while his buddy just stood there trying to figure things out. I look back past the young 8pt and see the 3rd buck that was the baby of this group. He only just had spikes but he seemed to be a little more nervous then his bigger counterparts because he caught one look at me and started snorting. They all 3 took off and that ended my morning hunt around 8:45 or so.

Saturday evening I returned to the same spot only to watch squirrels and chipmunks do what they do and run all over the place picking up the variety of nuts on the forest floor and walk just a few feet and bury them. I did have a deer just as it was getting too dark to see in the woods but still during legal shooting light catch me moving as I was getting ready to head out. Blew and bounded off.

Sunday morning I returned once again to this spot in hopes those 3 bucks or a different group would cycle thru this spot. No such luck. The woods seemed dead and not very many squirrels moving around and no birds at all. I ended up leaving by 8:30 that morning. Sunday evening I tried a different spot overlooking an old pasture in hopes something would be moving there. Nope, not a single critter came out. My only entertainment was a large black and yellow garden spider and a very small green tree frog.

I don't know if the super blood moon had anything to do with Sunday being a wash but I can't imagine it helped any. I'm going to try and get out this evening and sit back at the pasture and see if anything is coming into the apple trees.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sounds like you are off to a great start Adam! Eventually, I'm sure something that interests you will catch one of those new arrows.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Off to a good start Adam. Hopefully the daddy of one of those three bucks comes around.

This is the 5th season back on this property and with each year I have learned and relearned things. I have learned that you can't wait for the good bucks because if you try they vanish and it might be a couple years before they come back. Just as soon as you think you have one patterned something always happens that makes them do a 180 and your left scratching your head every single time. I have also learned to think outside the box. Tried something new last season and continuing to put it to use this season and I think it's going to pay off. Messing with these younger bucks is a learning course for both of us. It will bite me in the ass in a couple years I'm sure but hunting is an ever changing game of cat and mouse isn't it? If it was easy everybody would do it. This old hunter still has a few tricks up my sleeve Dick so we will see what happens.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Man, I need to keep up on this a little better lmao.

Not much has really happened to be honest. I have been out since the last update but only seen a small forkhorn buck that decided to circle around me so I took a selfie with him lol. I'm still waiting on the big boys to start moving during the day. With the temps dropping and the sunlight getting shorter it won't be long.

Here are a few of the pics I have. The video and the pic of the buck are the same buck. Most of my bucks are smaller and always have one side of the rack all jacked up this year for some reason or another.

[video=youtube;oTytVFNJuZ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTytVFNJuZ0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I got skunked last night. Only seen squirrels and almost had one jump on me until I told him he had big nuts. Scared him to death and he ran off.

I did however see 3 doe 1/4 mile into city limits on my way home. 1 was in the middle of the road. I almost hit her just because lol. Watched all 3 run around the pine tree in the front yard trying to get out of my way. I need to get with the mayor and start hunting the burbs lol.