Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bow sight and vision problem

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It appears my cataracts are getting a little worse after 10 years. I see 2-3 dots for every pin dot in the sight.
The past couple years I've used a IQ 7 pin and liked it real well but now I see 14-21 dots and don't really know which one I'm using.
So I decided to go to a single pin sight and got a HHA DS 5019 adjustable sight with the .019 pin. I got it installed today and almost squared away at 20 yds and got tired so decided to rest a bit.
The adjustments are well marked and no back lash. The dot is nice and bright in over cast sky. There is a blue light available.
Have to feel comfortable at 20 yds then adjust at 40 yds. When the 40 is good you just subtract the 20 yd # which happened to be 25 from the 40 yd # let's say 45 and you get 20. So you use the #20 pre-printed yard strip and place the 20 yd location on 20.
Seems simple enough even for me.

With the single pin I see 2-3 dots but they are almost touching so I bracket my 1" dot target I use. Seems to work just fine so far. I'll finish this report when I get the 40 yd done and adjust the sight and shoot targets at different yards.
I'm satisfied so far and this should get me back into the game.

I was to the point I thought I would have to give up a bow and go to a cross bow with a scope.

Anyone use a scope on a compound bow?

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Frank , look into a verifier peep. It will clear your pins up. I have to shoot one

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Milo. But I don't understand how it will clear up the multiple dots caused by my cataracts dots. The eye doctor said my cataracts are dots on my lens that causes the multiple sightings.

rsmith

i had a problem with my 4 pin sight. Switched to a Black Gold Target sight base and a hha .019 5ft mechanical rheostat and pushed that sight as far as it can go away from the riser, about 8.5 inches, and now I can see it fine. If you can hold steady and have good form when you shoot its amazing to have but if you wobble around and sway you will be fighting it all day. I would recommend trying that maybe and see if it helps as well. Here is a link to a 2.5 and also a link to a 4 inch extension bracket with dampeners for your HHA sight. It might be worth the investment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Hunting...-HHA-Sights-/301687411660?hash=item463df893cc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HHA-Sight-Extension-4-0-Target-Version-/301687914821?hash=item463e004145

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks for the info on the extenders. I'll play with holding the bow out further and see if there's any improvement. But the problem I have is the cataracts dots on my lens causes me to see multiple images. That's the reason I see 2-3 dots for every pin dot.
The Doctor's last visit was that the cataracts aren't bad enough for surgery.

I felt I had to quit shooting a bow this year as it surely isn't sporting to hunt that way. So this one pin sight was my last ditch chance. I'l be at it again today but yesterday it was working out OK.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Does lighting affect it any Frank?

How do you mean? I have extreme problem with bright light. Starting in 2002 because of my MS I was unable to open my eyes due to sensitive to light. That lasted 36 months and even after having surgery on both eye brows where they removed 1/2" of skin on top of my eye brows to pull the eye lids up. The July 2004 surgery was no help. Then in Dec. 2004 I had my 2nd open heart surgery to install a pig valve and over a period of 6 months I eyes got better and by May 2005 I was driving again after 36 months. The Doctor said the heart surgery shocked my immune system and reversed the MS problem and he also said I was damn lucky as it could have gotten worse.
I still wear a hat all the time to keep over head light off my eyes.
It's the damn cataracts are just dots on my lens that causes the extra images.

Everyday being alive is a good day even with problems. I'll somehow work out of this even If I have to go to a crossbow and scope.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Was wondering if a prescription set of sunglasses would help your issue??? Does seeing the pin become easier during low light conditions? Early morning or last of the shooting hour???

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Was wondering if a prescription set of sunglasses would help your issue??? Does seeing the pin become easier during low light conditions? Early morning or last of the shooting hour???

Not really I just see 2 or 3 sight pin dots side by side. With the 7 pin sight I would see 14-21 dots like a damn Christmas tree. Now I just see 2-3 dot close together in a straight line and I just use the center dot for sighting on the 1" target dot I use to sight in.
It seems to be working better. Going up now to shoot some more and see if I can get the sight zeroed in at 40 yds. I'll have to depend on a rangefinder but the adjustment wheel seems repeatable.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Shot some more today. Got the 20 yd down OK. I've never shot 40 yds so I went to 30 yds and shot there.
So far I'm impressed with this sight. The windage is 1/8" at 20 yds with no backlash.
The elevation is marked on the wheel 1 yd.
I'll try and work on the 40 yd sighting after I come back from my DIL dad's funeral.
I'll do a Product Review when I'm finished. Then if the grandsons don't want my IQ 7 pin sight I'll put that up for sale.

rsmith

I got a extra dovetail sight if you wanted to see if having the pins away farther, about 7 inches on this one. it is a multi pin, but you could just move the others down to see if you see the one better or not. If you wanted to try it out you're more than welcome to to see if it helps.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I shot again today at 30 yds. When I went from 20 to 30 I just dialed on 10 yds. I believe the sight comes with a numbered wheel strip for reference only.
Anyway 20 yd was #23 and 30 yd was #36. I shot well at 30 do decided to go to 40 yds.
I've never shot past 30 yds so this was a little nerve racking. I dialed on another 10 yds and 1st shot was 3" high. I was shocked to say the least.
Shot several 3 shot groups at 40 and moved the windage 1" to the right and there is no take up or backlash in the windage knob. It adjust 1/8" at 20 yds so I did 16 clicks and it was right on.
I shot couple more groups at 40 and the last group was 1". Damn this is surely a moral builder. The heat and sun go to me so not to go down hill I'll go back at it tomorrow. Couple more groups at 40 and 20 yds and I'll be OK to install the final yardage tape.

I trying to over come the 3 dot image by braking the 1" square spot I use for a aiming point. That seems to work out for me.

This sight is nothing less than a 5 Star rating. Easy to install, easy to adjust, and the adjustment are right on and no take up or backlash in the elevation or windage. Before I install the final tape I will shoot at different measured yardage but I see no reason why it won't be dead on.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I finally was able to finish sighting this new HHA adjustable elevation sight in today. The sight comes with a adjustable wheel with a numbered strip on it for changing the elevation.
At 20 yds the final sight # was 23. The 40 yds sight in number was # 49. So just take 49 minus 23 and use #26 strip. Then the #26 strip 20 yd is lined up with the 20 yd pointer and glue down the strip and it it's done.
I really like this sight as the elevation wheel has no take up or backlash when turning it for changing the yardage and it repeats perfectly. Also the windage knob is 1/8" at 20 yds clicks which has no take up or backlash when changing. It repeats perfectly.
I would buy this sight again.

rsmith

Awesome you got everything dialed in! Glad you like the new sight! Single pins are pretty easy to get dialed in.