Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scouting and Hanging Stands now ?

Well I was one of the hunters hanging out for a while this morning
Passed on a med doe and yearling

Well as I was changing out of my camo next to the truck
The guy that owns the land next to where I was hunting stopped
I have tried a bunch of times to talk to him .....but I could never track him down

Well long story short , I now have permission to hunt his land also :pickle:

My question is ....I am planning on going to scout the creek line and hedge row on his land this afternoon
If I see some good spots hang a stand or 2

How long is a proper amount of time to let the deer get settled down , before I hunt the stands ?
As I have never even been on the land , I have no clue as how it is for hunting

It has been a lot of years since I did my setup on some land after season had opened
I was always lucky and did most of the work mid summer ( not that I killed more deer LOL)

Thanks
John

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Same day has worked for me in the past. Good luck on your new property.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Hang em and go when you can. It's a long season.
I only let a stand cool down if I get busted.
Congrats on the added land and good luck!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just depends how careful you are. If you make a bunch of disturbance while setting then might as well wait a week or more to hunt it. But if you're careful you can hunt same day no problem.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I am constantly scouting New stands throughout the season. Up to date info is important to know what the deer are doin .

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just depends how careful you are. If you make a bunch of disturbance while setting then might as well wait a week or more to hunt it. But if you're careful you can hunt same day no problem.

Yep. If it were me, I'd try and catch a midday rain in the next couple weeks and hang it then if you don't plan to hunt much until later in October.

brancher147

I wouldn't worry about it, just try to be careful. Hang it and hunt it whenever you want. You have to get in the woods and leave some scent to scout and hang stands, I don't see why people get so worked up over this, just do the best you can with what you have to work with. I would try to avoid a wet day because your scent will carry farther and last longer if it is moist, unless a heavy rain is soon to follow.