Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tracking deer no hunting wwyd

at1010

*Supporting Member*
So my buddy got a place to bow hunt only. It's 7 acres and butts up next to a no hunting preserve. Loaded with deer and chance to kill a giant every year. It's total legal to bow hunt as long is property is over five acres.

I might get to hunt this with him and I am excited about it. My question is how would you handle if a deer runs back onto the metro park land? Call warden?

I can't seem to find any laws on this but would think the warden would be cool with it as long as it was hunted and shot legal?

Thanks for reading!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm going to say that if a deer makes it back onto the park, your screwed. They will more then likely not allow you to claim it and not allow you to get it back.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I agree. I have several buddies in city of Athens area who bow hunt on 1 acre. They are good hunters and I've watched them wax a doe and have it run 20 yards only. However in the case you don't make a perfect shot.

My biggest point to him was deff let that deer lay overnight if you don't see it fall because you'll want it to bed down within a 100 yards and bleed out hopefully finding it next morning.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Video the hunt and take pictures before during and after you get set up. Then if you do mortally shoot something and it run on to the property I'd call the GW and let him see where your stand is,where the deer was standing and any tracking sign left as he entered the MP.

That's what I'd do anyway, as well as staying at least 50 yards away from property line.

I'd give the local game warden a call now so you know what to expect. Perhaps even the metro park manager. They may ask that you contact them immediately before tracking further and likely would not allow you to carry any weapon while tracking.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
There is a 95% chance any deer you shoot is going to get back in the metro park. I would not hunt a place unless it was large enough to have a 99% chance of retrieving it legally.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
My first question is the property a state run area? Second question is does anybody reside on the property? And then I agree with Chuck I would go ahead of time so I know what to expect but when I brought the question to the warden it would be " Are we allowed to go after it as long as we have blood on our side of the fence?" I would like to think they would help you get your deer.

Last edited:
My first question is the property a state run area? Second question is does anybody reside on the property? And then I agree with Chuck I would go ahead of time so I know what to expect but when I brought the question to the warden it would be " Are we allowed to go after it as long as we have blood on our side of the fence?" I would like to think they would help you get your deer.

That's my thinking as well. On the other side of the coin and say you decide to just go after it without making sure it's legal, unless the metro park is off limits to people, nothing is saying you cannot take a stroll through the woods checking out nature as you go along and who knows what wildlife you might find LOL. Not saying that is the way to go though LOL!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Called the warden.

100% legal area to hunt. Warden believes it won't be an issue to get game but if that does occurs call the park manager to get permission. He believes they wouldn't want a carcass rotting so it shouldn't be an issue.

As for antiquecycles comments. I'll repeat myself again. I have several buddies who hunt on small parcels. The deer numbers are high and that's why they allow bowhunting. They also kill several deer a year and the deer dies within eye site. So I don't think it's garnered it'll run onto metro parks. Also could run into the hundreds of acres of neighbors property that are next to the property.

I am just a guy who likes to play by rules and want to make sure I am being legal.

Seems protocol will be to call parks if this occurs and get approval. Of course it is not legal to take any weapon onto the park so would need to retrieve without one.

I hope this is a lesson for everyone and information we can all use. There are a lot of great places to hunt in the state that are in similar situations.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Glad you were able to speak with a warden and get his approval. I would also speak withe the park manager beforehand as well. Just so there aren't any surprises later.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Fluteman.

This is something I am contemplating. I might now even hunt it this year. So idk if I want to draw attention to myself and my buddy. I am thinking better to ask after the fact if this occurs. I also think you are correct as well. Hmm.

Any other opinions on this?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wouldn't hurt to give the park manager a heads up, he may be cool with it as well.... If not, you've got your answer and you can proceed to plan B....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Wouldn't the wardens authority trump the park managers? Call him back again and ask him if you were to shoot a deer and it ran on the park, would he come and assist in the recovery.

That's pretty good news. IMO I would still give the Park Manager a call and let him/her know that you will be hunting nearby land and you've already spoken to the local game warden, give him/her his name. That is when you can express your concern that there is always a chance it may happen and ask them what steps you need to take to recover an animal should the issue arise. I don't think that would draw attention at all but perhaps create a good working relationship with the park. Who knows on the optimistic side of things they may put you in contact with another property owner or two.