Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Question about license requirements

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
If you take your child and they accompany you while hunting do they need a license? I have always thought yes but wanted to check.

Thinking about my son for Strouds. He won't carry anything, just sit in the woods with me and help spot squirrels.

I could get the apprentice license I know but then I am burning one of them just for a day or two.

Bigcountry40

You'll get 10 different answers from 10 different GW's. I believe you need a license to push or put on deer drives even if you are not hunting (thats what a GW told me once). Common sense would dictate that you are fine taking your boy with you, but there is always that 1 in million chance.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I was looking it up and got mixed replies. I would think as long as the youth does not touch the gun / bow, does not aid or help in your hunt you would be Ok BUT that is just me.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great question. I took my son hunting with me when he was younger. He just sat in the blind with me. Never bought his apprentice license until he was ready to start hunting. Prior to this, he did not aid in my hunting, dragging out deer, shooting them, etc.

I agree with the above in regards to squirrel hunting. Myself? I would think walking with you but NOT participating would be okay. The GW might think differently.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I say take him and don't worry about the license. Just make sure he isn't carrying anything at all. Not even a pocket knife!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I can't believe he would need a license to tag along. If so, I've broken that law dozens of times. If I would have ever been issued a ticket, I would have gone to court without a second thought!

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Another one of the Ohio regulations written without thinking of all possibilities. I know for a fact one deer in the ohio big bucks club that was the result of a deer drive by a wife and her friend pushing the woods the first day of gun season without licenses.
as far as I am concerned, this deer was poached.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If he's not aiding in the hunt he's not hunting, and doesn't need s license. And contrary to what's been said here, I don't know a single GW that would write a ticket for that.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Another one of the Ohio regulations written without thinking of all possibilities. I know for a fact one deer in the ohio big bucks club that was the result of a deer drive by a wife and her friend pushing the woods the first day of gun season without licenses.
as far as I am concerned, this deer was poached.

I don't feel the deer was poached per say but the 2 driver pushers were illegal. But then the State may look at it different.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
So if an amish community sent all the wives and kids to push woodlots, they don't need licenses?
In my opinion, all of them should not only be required to be licensed but also should have passed a hunter safety course if they are wearing orange and banging pots and pans together.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
So if an amish community sent all the wives and kids to push woodlots, they don't need licenses?
In my opinion, all of them should not only be required to be licensed but also should have passed a hunter safety course if they are wearing orange and banging pots and pans together.

Amish maybe exempt do to their beliefs. Not saying it's right.