Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Adams County

tjeep

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443027658.848710.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443027658.848710.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443027658.848710.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 118

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
What's a grouse?
Man, we must have been overrun with those cats up here for the last 30 years.

Nice to see them making a comeback. Need something to hunt when all the deer, pheasant, grouse, quail, and a few other things are all gone. I guess we are just waiting on the deer because my County doesn't have much if any of those other critters I listed.

Last edited:

tjeep

There are still decent numbers of grouse around. Requires lots of leg work to find them. The strange thing is the last 5 years we have been over run with coyotes on this farm. I haven't head or seen any on trail cams this year. Wondering if this cat/cats have anything to do with that?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
There are still decent numbers of grouse around. Requires lots of leg work to find them. The strange thing is the last 5 years we have been over run with coyotes on this farm. I haven't head or seen any on trail cams this year. Wondering if this cat/cats have anything to do with that?

Feel lucky you have the grouse and habitat to hold them. I have NEVER heard one up here and I have been running these fields and woods for 35 years plus up here.

I doubt the cat or cats have much to do with the lower yote population on your place. As long as the food is there to support them they can use the same range. More then likely the yote have moved a couple miles and found an easier food source. The yote have killed most of our groundhogs up here pulling them out of their holes while they hibernate for the winter. Rabbits are another low critter with the yote getting a fill and a high population of hawks around.

buckcrazy1

That's great to see them coming back so strong! I heard there's a petition out to get them removed from the Threatened list because populations are so high and growing rapidly! I'm pulling for them and the black bears to come back...and maybe even elk in time!! But as far as the bobcats being the reason u haven't seen yotes, I really doubt it just because in nature felines are inferior to canines, not to mention yotes run in packs, so I'm sure a bobcat isn't running off packs of coyotes...unless the cats just eating everything!? Lol thanks for posting though! Super cool!:)

brancher147

I see cats every time I come to Adams County. Saw 2 together this spring on a turkey hunt in Shawnee. All ones I have seen have been pretty small. One walked right up to me, they are a lot more skiddish where I live in WV.