Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frank's 2015 hunting journal

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I just can't get myself into gear this season. But I'm getting better. No health issues holding me back. Looking at a new stand location tomorrow. My neighbor refused me permission to put a tree stand or a ground blind on his property. I can hunt (shoot onto) the hay field but that's it. I was planning on it as the deer route is on the other side of the field 80 yds away.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Letting you shoot a deer on his hayfield from your property but not letting you put a blind or stand up don't make any sense.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good to hear Frank! I wouldn't worry about the neighbor not letting you hunt over there. Just as long as you're able to recover a deer over there is most important, IMO.

Good luck this season!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Watching the buck travels for 2 yrs during the rut it would have been a great stand location. The hay field is 100% circled with heavy brush and is 40 ft lower than the upper fields. The owner put in a ATV trail down the hill and the bucks and does travel the trail and walk through the field to the brush on the far end. But it's 80 yds across. OK for gun but not bow hunting.
Today I'm looking for a stand location on my property line on the far end of the field to see if I can use the trail that way.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I went down and checked out the West end of the hay field hoping I could put a stand on my property line and have a shot. Well it won't work as the creek bends to the south and my property is 40 yds away and I would have to cut down a forest to see the field. I'm hoping the neighbor will permit a stand clear at the edge of their property. I'll know in a day or so.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It's going to be a rough year. I took on this R&D work and it started today. He gave me a idea of what they need the next 2-3 weeks and it's a load on me but if they keep me in supplies it'll work out with my new setup.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It's been a tough road so far this year. My thumb responded to my 'burning nettles' 48 hrs treatment this week and there is zero pain. I got the bow out yesterday and everything was OK.
I smoked my hunting clothes and went down and smoked up the inside of my hunting tower. I also put up a mock scrap tree 25 yds from the tower. This my 1st attempt at a mock scrape tree. I cut down a oak stapling that was in the way and wired it to a T-post and made a scrape under it with human scent on the ground. LOL
Just got a call from my younger brother who has health issues so I asked him to go with me in the morning. He joked no TV in the tower, but I told him it's insulated with heat. I'll try and take a deer for him. It'll be fun hunting with him in comfort.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
10-17
I took my brother out before day light. He has a open sore on bottom of his heal that won't heal for over 2 years now. He wears a special boot and can't walk far so I took him down to the tower 1 hr. before hunting time with the golf cart.
Got settled in and stayed till 10:00 AM but seen no deer. He had a great time and said he wouldn't tell anyone how nice it was. I told to go ahead a tell it up but it was only available to special persons.

It was my 1st hunt since I insulated the tower. I lite a small propane heater to keep his feet warm as it was 28 degrees. The tower is quite now after insulating it.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like a nice tower Frank. Hope the thumb is doing good.

The thumb is OK little sore after 7 days so I put another leaf on it yesterday and it went away. The tower is the same as you seen it just insulated inside.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm off to the killing fields or so I hope. Woke up and the thumb's a little sore but I can hold a coffee cup and move it so I put a treatment on it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm off to the killing fields or so I hope. Woke up and the thumb's a little sore but I can hold a coffee cup and move it so I put a treatment on it.

Good luck frank... Taking the weekend off from deer.... Geese and bass are ombré agenda....