Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finelysheddeds 2015-16 hunting journal

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well, it's that time of year and this year I'm running behind much later than normal due to a ATV accident I had during out TOO bowshoot/camp out on 7/24/15. Thanks to my TOO brothers and the good Lord looking over me I came out of it a lot better than it could have been! I broke my right collarbone and my 9th rib and fractured a few others.
My collarbone

My collarbone now

My rib is feeling better but here it was a month ago

Anywho, I'm on the end but still can't draw my bow and still have some time before I'll be able to much of anything strenuous with my right arm and shoulder. Rick Roshon(Xbowguy) was so generous to lend me one of his 10 pt xbows so Karissa and I can hunt this year. A big thanks to Rick!!!! Within a day or two I had Karissa out shooting it and we got it zero'd in at 25 yards in just a few shots. It's one that cranks back to draw so that was a huge help for me and plus it gives a much more consistent cocking point.

Karissa getting familiar with Ricks xbow

More to come momentarily

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Man those are some wicked looking xrays, especially that rib! Glad your OKish, it could of been alot worse! Rick is a hell of a guy, that was a nice thing he did for ya, good luck this year buddy!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well, now we both have something to hunt with but here it was about a month ago I hadn't been physically able to do any treestand erecting or prep work. After my accident another TOOzer, Brian(Boarhead) offered to come down and help me hand all my sets and due to being desperate I took him up on it! What a Godsend!!!! He came down not once but twice, and for that I'm very grateful!!!!Words can't describe it!!!

Anyway here is my buddy Brian at work helping Karissa and I out! He even moved my steps a little closer to enable Karissa to climb the trees easier....she is totally happy about that!lol

More coming momentarily

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

After hanging and prepping all my stands we went and pulled some cards and mocked some scrapes. I have no pics of prepping scrapes but I will share a few pics of deer I've managed to get on TC over this summer. I recently pulled cards last week and every buck I saw a pic of had shed his velvet. The nicest buck I've gotten so far I named Shank(named by Cotty) has been a no show since 7/14. I have no idea where he's at or what he's doing.
Here is my first pic of Shank. It's mid June.

Here's Shank in velvet mid July.

Here's a look at his body

Here's a good look at his shanked right brow

More coming momentarily

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here are the other deer I've gotten pics of.
Frick and Frack

F
Frack

Here's a nice young 8 with a small drop out towards the end of his MB(no name for him yet)

Here he is hard horned

Today after washing and hanging our hunting clothes a couple days ago I decided it was time to smoke them and get them stored on totes before opening day weekend.

It feels really good to be caught back up after being so far down in the hole. Just want to again thank Rick and Brian for helping us out and all my TOO family helping after my wreck!

We're both pumped for season to start and will thoroughly enjoy our season. My main goal is to film Karissa killing her first deer. When she can hunt, I'm nothing more than a camera man and hunting buddy! If she can't hunt and I can, you bet your ass I'll be out there soaking it all in!

Good luck and everyone be safe this season!

Il will also keep a log like past years on this thread keeping track of deer sightings and such.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great that you and Karissa are all set, Ric! If you need help dragging one out, (especially considering your aged and broken bones), don't hesitate to give me a call! I'm betting this is the year for Karissa!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys!! I sure hope Karissa gets a shot at one this year! Last year was a bust and we only got out a couple times due to being her senior year in school and our timing wasn't very good with our schedules. This year I hope to make it out a lot if things go right! If we get her, her very first deer, my season was a HUGE success!!! Too get it on tape would be PRICELESS!

Hope everyone here on TOO has a successful and safe season as well!! Can't wait!!!!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Glad i could help you two out Ric,you have raised a very nice daughter and am pulling for her to get one this year.
Glad you are healing up and hope you can get to shooting your bow soon.
Need anything else you got my #. Good Luck!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Glad i could help you two out Ric,you have raised a very nice daughter and am pulling for her to get one this year.
Glad you are healing up and hope you can get to shooting your bow soon.
Need anything else you got my #. Good Luck!

Thanks a million buddy!!! Will do!!!

I texted Karissa tonight that I got Ricks xbow all dialed in pretty good at 25 and 35 yards. The crosshairs aren't perfect for those two distances so I tweaked here and there and got it to where they both at least hit inside the bullseye pretty consistently.
Here's 25 yards

Here's at 35 yards

She away at school right now but she's super jacked and excited for Saturday to get here!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Be even better if Garrett tagged one this weekend at Brock's place. Then he and I could come help you drag it out. I would love that!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks gang!!! I got her so stoked it ain't funny!!! Flew home from work and got the stuff out and shot one bolt from 45 yards and put it away after taking this pic....

Sent the pic to her and she wants to shoot Friday after she gets home from school to get even more comfortable with it which is great by me!:pickle:

Last edited: