Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A different type of food plot

I figured I would give you guys a laugh and maybe some ideas

Well I am not a huge food plot person
But this year I am feeling better more days so I put in a few

Non of them are huge and what I put in each was what I figured would grow there

Well a 3 weeks ago I had the change to use a tractor and disk to work up a strip plot 1/2 mile from my house

Well almost to the end and I ran out of the mix of Turnips I was planting

So I had the idea to use up the old seed from planting my garden and some stringbean and pea seeds I had shelled out this year

So Rather than buy another bag of seed
I planted the deer Swiss Chard , Peas , String Beans , 3 types of Lettus , cabbage and spinage

I simple threw the seed on the ground and raked it in
I figured if the deer didn't like some of it , I would harvest it myself
About 10 days after I planted the plot , I saw everything was up pretty evenly the whole plot and starting to be eaten

Well this afternoon I took a look

The deer are eating the garden vegi's better than the turnips so far

I will not be hunting right over this food plot
But back a ways along the hedge row that seperates the woods and the bottom where I planted

So it always isn't the best idea to plan on just 1 type of food in the plot
And if the deer seem to like the vegi's , I will try it again next year
As all the seed was old or free , so the cost was right

Oh I know non of the vegi's will live after some hard frost's ....but I am hoping they will get the deer to use the food plot before the turnips are large
Then the deer can chow down on their greens

John

buckcrazy1

We have 13 food plots on my mom's 160 acre ranch, and there are huge bean and corn fields surrounding the property. One of the food plots is only about 75 yards from the gardens we have but we still have to put an electric fence around them and then another electric fence about 5 ft in front of the other electric fence so they can't jump it. My point is don't be surprised when the deer eat all the crops and dig up the roots, completely wipe em out, before they start hitting the rest of the plot lol