Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

field turnips

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I have a farm that was wheat this year. They ditched it then worked it. The then flipped on field turnips and rye for a cover crop. I have two stands around this field and had kind of wrote them off this year with it being wheat this year. But last weekend we checked these stands and they seem to be a lot of traffic in this field. I understand they are hitting it hard now with the tender tops. But will they hit the tops of the turnips like the do radishes after the hard frost? Just wondered if anybody has any experience with field turnips such as food plots and such?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
In 2013 the deer ate all the green tops over the hard winter and never touched the bulbs.
In 2014 the deer ate all the green tops and ate almost all the bulbs.
Both years there was plenty of forage oats beside both crops. I feel it was just a learning curve.
For 2015 I will have plenty of turnips and radishes if the weather holds.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Ok thanks guys I seen a decent buck and a small buck in this field this morning. They are sure eating the tops. but they are only 2 inches tall so I'm thinking this maybe were me and the kids sit next Saturday. It wasn't my planned spot but hey they seem to be in it. They have 80 acres of them so this winter maybe good. I didn't know if they would hit the turnips like the do radishes so thanks again guys.