Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tanning squirrel hide / other small game

JohnTheDeer

I am going squirrel hunting this weekend and I am looking to preserve the hide of the squirrels that I get because it will be my first ever squirrels. Do any of you do this? What is the best/cheapest way of doing so? Could you explain or even give a link to a good site that explains how to do it?
Thank you for the help and I will be sure to post pictures of it (if I am even to shoot one).

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Unless you are dead set on doing it yourself...I send all skins to Moyle Mink and Tannery. They do a real good job and it's not that much, not to mention way less hassle.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
You will pay the postage each way. So we dried and saved several hides then sent them all at once. Mole does an excellent job and much cheaper than going through a taxidermist. (My Taxi uses Moyle).

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
You will pay the postage each way. So we dried and saved several hides then sent them all at once. Mole does an excellent job and much cheaper than going through a taxidermist. (My Taxi uses Moyle).
I just got the bill from the Amish fugger that I take my Fur to for tanning. $256 for a beaver, 3 coon, and a yote. I about shit my pants. I won't be using him again.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Chad, Moylel will do you much better we just got our first back today 2 Coyote 1 Red Fox 1 squirrel 1 raccoon and a possum was 142 and that included shipping

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Moyle is going to be hard to beat, especially if you want a nice soft tan. If a taxidermist does it, he does the same thing. If you are handy enough to skin it and prep it. You are good to go. I prefer salt dried only because when shipping you never know what UPS might deal you.

Kaiser878

ohio
I just got the bill from the Amish fugger that I take my Fur to for tanning. $256 for a beaver, 3 coon, and a yote. I about shit my pants. I won't be using him again.
Have tim at massilon fur send it out.... he sends out all my stuff. Cheapest place you'll find and it's a professional tanning company.