Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Powerlifting

Wmiller07

Just seeing if anyone else here is into powerlifting. I plan on competing next year and it's tough to find other people that are into it since it's a niche sport.

Steelheadtracker

I am. In the past few months I haven't been lifting as heavy lately but need to again. Just dead lifted Monday for the first time in a little while. Where's the comp

Wmiller07

I saw they had a competition in Mansfield this past September so probably there. Do you compete at all? I deadlifted today and it was rough. I'm busting out the excuses and saying it was because I was on vacation last week and had a cold ha-ha.

Steelheadtracker

Was it the one at the ymca? Ive done 3 total. 2 were bench only and one was bench squat dead lift which was at the mansfield ymca.

Wmiller07

Maybe, since its far away time wise I really didn't look that close. How did you do and what weight class are you in?

Steelheadtracker

At the time of the mansfield ymca one (I'm thinking it was last year) I was 198 class but now I'd be like 181. The first one I did was when I was in high school and it was in marion. I had no one in my weight class so I couldn't lose lol. The 2nd one I did was at Antonellies gym in mansfield (now called fitness factory). I should have won but basically got screwed. At this meet I was right at 180 so 181 class. So this dude comes in to weigh in and is about 6 to 7 inches taller than me and had more mass than me. He asks if he can weigh in naked because he is going to be close. So instead of the guy running it going with him and observing him weigh in, he let him go in and do it alone. Magically he comes out and says exactly 181. I only had on basketball shorts socks and a t shirt and weighed 180. No way he was 181 and my wife said the same thing. I did 310 for bench that day and he did 375 magically at 181. The 3rd competition was at the mansfield ymca and only 3 people showed myself included. I knew them both. I was in the 198. The other guy weighed 220 and change and the 2nd guy weighed 250. So they decided to make the best of it and have us go against each other regardless of weight. I won the bench because the guy at 250 DQed on all 3 attempts. The 220 guy won the dead lift with me right behind him. The 250 guy won the squat. The 220 guy and myself both tied for the total weight lifted for the day. So they had us do a tie breaker deadlift to see who would win the total weight lifted. I pulled 495 and he pulled 505. So he won the total weight lifted. It was fun and 495 was a new PR for me, however I was disappointed there was no one else but us.

Last edited:

Wmiller07

Those are really good weights. I plan on competing in the 242 class and I've been training for about 3 months. I've lifted since I was 12 but never trained for powerlifting. I had never squatted b4 and just trippled 405, my pause bench is around 350 and my best deadlift is 505 for a double.

Steelheadtracker

Pause wait for them to say press then press it up. Also don't rack the weight until they give the command after the lift. If you rack it before they say ok it's a DQ. So after you are all the way up wait for the rack command.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I lift a little bit my brother is into it and still holds a record at the high school for the 145 class. Think he did 405 dead lift 325 squat and 230 on the bench he's a little tank for his weight and height. I told him I could pick up the 405 after he did it I wasn't working out at the time I got it up but about blew my nuts out but couldn't let him out do me.