Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

$h!t Genetics

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
When I first saw pictures of this buck last year, I was momentarily excited. At first glance it appeared it could be a 5 year old Captain Jack. I did the same double take this year and sadly, it is not a 6 year old Captain Jack. I have always felt an old deer, which to me is 5 or older, was as much, if not more of a trophy in my area of the state than a 140+. I've been fortunate to have killed 3 bucks that were aged at 6.5 years old thanks to jaw bone analysis. I take pride in those numbers because none of the deer score more than 140" and that is a benchmark I've been shooting for since I started taking my bowhunting serious in 2005. It seems I may be put to the test this year as I'm fearful this buck may be pushing other bucks off the farm as he stakes claim to the abundance of does and food on the 130 acres I'm currently managing. Here is a look at a buck I'm now calling Porkchop from last year, and again this year...

Porkchop in 2015

I personally think this deer is at least 5, and may be older based on him being all of 4 last year, if not older. His genetics obviously suck and I'd love to see this deer killed. How would you handle this situation if you were me? I have a gameplan I will share later on.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Ya he needs shot. Why not get your wife on him?

That's part of the plan, but she's not bowhunting like she used to. So the best chance for her would be muzzy season and that may be when we push to make it happen. I have a buddy who hunts with me from WV and he said he'd be happy to shoot this buck. I also have a couple TOOzers coming down this year and they may be interested.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
He is showing some very dominant traits chasing that other buck off with his ears pinned back. I would get him out of there ASAP so he stops running better bucks off. I have seen smaller bucks push bigger bucks around more then once just because they smaller buck is more aggressive and has an attitude problem that doesn't allow them to play nice with others. I would bet a good rattle with the ol horns will bring him a runnin lookin for a fight.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Adams right on that one. The buck my buddy shot last year on the same property I shot mine was an aggressive bastard with a fugged up rack. I had him come through at 30 yards, waited til he got to 50 and I rattled. He came in all bristled up. A week later out of the same spot my buddy grunted him in, he tore a scrape up, then got shot. I saw it from 60 yards away in another tree Lol.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Make him dead. I had one several years ago that I had passed several times over the years. He ruled the roost till he was 6.5 yrs, time to go. I should have killed him when he was 5.5, his rack was much larger, but it seemed like shooting an old friend as I'd seen him since he was 2.5. If he hadn't grown an antler down through his eye, I may never have tried to kill him, and he would have continued to run off better antlered deer till nature took it's course.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I agree also, he needs dead! The sooner the better. I have also had a few like that over the years and it only got worse the older they got.
I have 1 doe that acts the same way to others also, she gotta be 900 yrs old and a bitch. Just can't seem to sink an arrow in her.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's funny, really. Here we all are, before season, saying "Yeah, kill him. Let so-and-so shoot him"... yada yada. If he is a mature deer, as we seem to think he is, he ain't no push-over. His diminutive set of antlers seem to make us think a little less of him, but if he has the years he seems to, count yourself lucky if so-and-so gets a look at him!

I don't know about the rest of TOO... but my level of respect for and frustration with deer grows immensely after opening day.
HA! Have fun chasing him!