Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Remington accutips?

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
As some of you may remember I put a new scope on my 870 12 ga. over the winter. I was shooting Federal barns expanders 1 oz. Witch they don't make anymore. So yesterday I shot the new Federal trophy's and the accutips.
Shot out to 100 yards and the accutips shot the best. Today were going to be shooting out to 200 yards to see what happens. I've never shot the gun past 125 yards.
My question is about the misfires with the accutips, Is this a thing of the past or certain guns that do this? I shot up 3 boxes with no misfires. Proly shoot 3 more today. Thanks for any help guys.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have the Savage 220 and also shoot he accutips and have had numerous no fires.... I attributed it too the accutips and actually sent a heated email too Remington.... Fast forward, it ended up being a trigger issue... Gun sent back, gun fixed.....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
If you look at the accutips base, you will probably see them convex. When I compared that to a federal, it was noticeable. There is no reason why Remington does this but lack of quality control. I'm still using them but I inspect each one. I have had a couple misfires but it took me a couple years to get through my ammo to find them. I went through 10 boxes or so and only got one.

I have a Savage 220 and it loves the accutips. I haven't had any issues yet but I will now inspect the bases before loading my mags now. Thanks for the heads up Milo!

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Well I shot 7 boxes today. 25,50,100,125,150,175. Yards, I wanted to see what the accutip would do at all yardages. Was shooting off a bench with a lead sled. About 3" high at 50, 3" at 100, 2" at 125, And just low at 150, 175 was a foot low to my surprise. No way I could shoot a deer with my setup past 160. A lot more drop then advertised at long range. Zero misfires.
A 20 gauge 220 is in my plans for next year now for sure.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'd go with a straight wall cartridge before I'd spend the money on a single use gun if I did it in this day and age.... Wasn't an option when I bought mine, and I was tired of lugging around the old marlin during gun season lol....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well I shot 7 boxes today. 25,50,100,125,150,175. Yards, I wanted to see what the accutip would do at all yardages. Was shooting off a bench with a lead sled. About 3" high at 50, 3" at 100, 2" at 125, And just low at 150, 175 was a foot low to my surprise. No way I could shoot a deer with my setup past 160. A lot more drop then advertised at long range. Zero misfires.
A 20 gauge 220 is in my plans for next year now for sure.

That's the issue. When they start dropping they drop like a stone. I shoot 240 gr xtp with 150gr powder out of my muzzy. Zero at 100 and it's 13 inches low at 200.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I'd go with a straight wall cartridge before I'd spend the money on a single use gun if I did it in this day and age.... Wasn't an option when I bought mine, and I was tired of lugging around the old marlin during gun season lol....

Only problem with that for me is that now that I'm living in Michigan, And have property's near me that I'm able to hunt. And needing a second gun for my son. Cant use the rifle here. Shot gun only. And up north where you can use a rifle I choose my 30.06. If I were still living in Ohio I would consider the straight wall.

My buddy got a deal on a 45-70 but He hasn't tried it yet. I'd like to see how it shoots.