Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Goose Decoy Setup

Wmiller07

I just bought one of those FA flocked sleeper packs so that brings me up to 18 decoys including my real geese silhouettes. How would you set them up. I've only goose hunted once and wasn't successful so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Tough to generalize. Each situation is gonna be different. Things to keep in mind is be hidden well , be where the birds wanna be in the field , set up to let the birds land into the wind . Sleepers are usually used in day roost or late season field set ups . Putting them on the edge of open water on the ice during late season water hunts is deadly . .
So , scout , get where they wanna be , and be hidden and it'll work out . I'd be inclined to break your decoys into 2-4 small groups about 10-20 yds apart .

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Are you hunting fields or water? I'm assuming fields if you're using silos. Generally you won't see too many sleepers in a field until late season when the field is covered in snow. Not that they won't work in November when you're getting out, but feeders and active birds would be what I would try and go with. Like Carpn said... scout and be where the birds want to be, and get hidden. Completely hidden. Your layout blind should be like a part of the field you're in.

For a good, basic start on set ups put your decoys in a U shape. With the wind at your back, have your blind at the bottom of the U with decoys leading up the arms of the U. Keep a hole open in the center for birds to land into. The first group of birds that comes in is going to tell you something. Pay attention. If they don't decoy, ask why? Is there something they're seeing? Is your spread too tight? Should you open up one side of the U, so it becomes a J? Experience will be your best teacher. Just get out there and don't be afraid to try something.

Wmiller07

Gotcha, I figured the more decoys I had the better so I bought the sleepers because they were on sale. I was thinking about breaking them out into two groups with a rester or sentry.

AMiller

Best way is to set you decoys on goose poop, Seriously. To do that you have to find the birds. So like everyone else already said, scout, find them and set up where you see them in the field. And get covered up.

If you only have 18 decoys total, run them all.