Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock following Mason through the woods.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Time to get this thing started... again.

So far, Mason and I have put up some stands, gathered hundreds of pounds of apples, and checked some cameras. We had a couple of the big ones on cam back in July, but the farm has changed due to the second-crop beans not getting planted. Big boys are gone, and I haven't found them yet. The good thing being in AG country, once the surrounding crops come off, I'm hoping they show back up! Last season, I felt like we had 'em nailed down pretty well, and still did not get a shot. This season, I haven't a clue where they are, so I'm hoping they just wander into range... Better to be lucky than good?

We've been dove hunting 2 times, killed 'em. Squirrel hunting once, killed four. Baseball this afternoon, field glassing tonight out on the lease. A good day ahead!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks, Brian. One thing is certain, we will spend a lot of time trying! Then again, luck can happen at any time.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
For real, good luck Brock. I sure hope to see one of them down. Just like splitter....died when he did show up! Good Stuff!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looking forward to following this journal again. Always pleasurable to see what you two ornery fellers have been doing.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It'll be fun following you both again this year! Hope you're right and one of the big boys just pops up outta no where's and you or Mase pinwheels his arse! Good luck this season and y'all have fun! If you need any help this season give me a call, ifn I ain't obligated to something else I can be there in 45 minutes to an hour!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks fellas! Just checked two cams. One only recorded for the first day of an 8 day soak - my fault, battery. The other had a couple hundred vids, mostly does and fawns (the same 3). The goofy buck (3 year old) was there too, he would be in the 140s if both sides were in good shape, and another little buck have been showing up. I was really disappointed the other cam was low, I kinda expected one of the big boys to be on it. The shed their velvet on Sept 10 or so last year, and started to roam a little more afterwards. I thought one of them would be on that cam.... painful to be dumb sometimes.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I enjoy your writings about hunting with him!
Thanks.

Last edited:

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Good luck to you guys this year. I've messed up twice this year with the cameras. Actually forgot to turn the damn thing on before leaving. Twice. And like always at our place, We don't get a lot of mature bucks on cams till end of October. So I never sweat what's on my cams this early in the season.