Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Golden Retriever Pup

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
As many of you know, I breed (mostly) Golden Retrievers.

I've run into a situation that has never come up before and I am hoping that a TOOzer will be interested in my offer.

I had a litter of Goldens that are 9 weeks old now (and 2 days). This is out of my favorite and most gentle female, named Joy. She is a huge dog but as sweet as they come.

One of the males in the litter (actually the huge horse of the litter) has a very slight heart murmur. I've had him checked twice and the vet said that his quality of life should not be affected and that he should just not be allowed to be overweight as an adult. Other than that, he can be raised the same as any other pup.

He did say that the murmur might start to bother him when he is about 10 years old and that his life span might only be 10 years as opposed to the 12 year life expectancy.

Here's the problem. Because I am always honest with all the people that get pups from me, I have to tell them about the slight murmur and feel like I should give a discount. However, I have learned over the years that people will lie through their teeth and I don't want to greatly discount this pup to a total stranger, as I am worried about him getting in the hands of a flipper.

I would prefer he go to a home where I know he is going to stay for the rest of his life and not be taken from my home just to be re-sold for a profit.

Knowing that the majority of everyone in this forum are decent, honest people, I am offering him here.

His price would be stupid cheap if the right person/family/TOOzer wants him. He is AKC registered but obviously, I would want him to have limited registration because of his murmur, which means he should not be bred.

And he is going to be huge. Probably close to 90 pounds, maybe 100 when he is grown. He is up to date on his de-wormings and has had his first set of shots. He'll need 2 more shots plus a rabies when he is old enough.

Here's a picture of him from about 2 or 3 weeks ago. He's the one in the front.

joys-3.jpg

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Very nice offer Diane. Golden's are great dogs, especially for family dogs. I hope you can place him with a TOOzer that will give him a great life.

Out last golden had a heart murmur and it didn't effect his abilities at all. We did have to try and keep him lean, but he eventually passed from other causes unrelated to the heart condition.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Thanks, Sean. I know that a heart murmur sounds scarier than it is. At least in this case since it is slight.

Anyway............I just got a phone call and this beautiful pup now has the perfect home! Yay, I'm so happy for him.