Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

6 guns everyone should own

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
My theory used to be that any man should own 3 guns at the least - a .22 rifle, a shotgun, and a pistol.
Nothing less. Still is, actually, as a bare minimum.

I like this list, it's cool. I need a long range rifle.
If my muzzy counts as the big bore, then I got 5 of the six.

Wmiller07

I would narrow it down to four. A .22lr rifle, a pistol (9, 40, or 45), a 12 gauge, and some kind of evil "assault" rifle. What do you do with those big bore rifles MK111?

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
A .22 rifle and pistol a .357 revolver a 20 ga. Semi auto a nice varmint rifle in .17 rem. And a nice muzzel loader would be my pick. Now if I was going out west my list would change as it would if I was younger lol.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
For this part of the country. I'm content.
Like others have said, If I was out west, I would have a "long range gun TOO.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would narrow it down to four. A .22lr rifle, a pistol (9, 40, or 45), a 12 gauge, and some kind of evil "assault" rifle. What do you do with those big bore rifles MK111?

I went to Alaska with the 338 Rem mag as I was in brown bear country for 3 weeks. Took a nice black bear.
I used the 375 H&H in CO on my last elk hunt and took a 5x5 bull elk.
I had the 416 Rem mag pending a hunting trip to South Africa but sold it. I still plan on a plains animal hunt in South Africa with the 375 H&H and my 375 JDJ handcannon.
I bought the Rem 700 375 H&H form a friend who had the Remington Custom Shop built special and it's worth a whole lot more than I paid for it.
Good investments if bought right. Enjoy life while you can as it's way too short.

Wmiller07

That's what I tell my wife when I buy something, she doesn't seem to care. My dream hunt right now is to go pheasant hunting in South Dakota but I don't see that happening for awhile as I barely have time to hunt here. Those sound like sweet hunts by the way.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I think everyone agrees a 22 rifle should be a priority.
Next for Ohio should be a conceal carry pistol. a snub nose 38 is a good idea for a safe gun to carry for everyone. some people should not be toting an auto. Like a police Chief in Pa. who shot himself cleaning a 40 two days ago.

NO doubt the majority of households have a shotgun of some sort. One with a regular barrel and a slug barrel is appropriate.
Rifles, a 223 and a 30/06 will take out most anything.

If I had to stick to one gun for everything, it would be a T/C Contender and a bunch of barrels.

Wmiller07

Why is a snub nose safe but a semi auto not. Not sure about you but I shoot a longer barreled semi auto way better than a snubbie.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Why is a snub nose safe but a semi auto not. Not sure about you but I shoot a longer barreled semi auto way better than a snubbie.

Why? Because about 50-75% of the people who carry with a legal CCW should not be left in the same room with a gun let alone a loaded auto pistol. Do gunshow dealer setups like I have for 29 yrs. and you will understand.

Wmiller07

I guess we can agree to disagree. You have to pull the trigger on both to make it fire whether it's an auto or a revolver. If you are unsafe with any gun i dont want to be in the same room with you.

Wmiller07

Yep, my father in law told me a story about how he had to explain to a cop that if he carried two glocks in the same caliber the larger magazines for his duty pistol would work in his subcompact ankle carry gun. This dept carries glocks FYI.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Thats one of the reasons for a revolver. There simple to use. If the gun dosn't go band when you squeeze the trigger you don't have to rack the slide to clear the bad round you just squeeze the trigger again to rotate the cylinder. Easy and safe.

Wmiller07

As long as the cylinder doesn't bind. It's all personal preference so just carry what you're comfortable with. As long as you're carrying that's what matters.