Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

how far is too far

brancher147

I just got a new tenpoint and am able to drill the bullseye out to 70 yards on a bench. I know hunting situations are much different than a bench and there are many variables to consider. What is the longest distance folks have successfully harvested a deer with an xbow?

We have had a deer come unglued at the sound of a crossbow at 20 yards causing the deer to duck and the result was a bad hit that did not kill the deer. The deer was looking at us and was on full alert though. Just because they are accurate doesn't mean the deer will still be there when the bolt gets there. I'd say 30 yards max.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
50 yards is probably reasonable with the right conditions and crossbow. These new crossbows are amazing in the speed and accuracy they shoot. My daughter shot her buck last year at 40 yards and I shot one at 35 yards. The closer the better obviously. My stryker bow will shoot 6" groups at 75 yards, but I wouldn't shoot at a deer past 50.

brancher147

We have had a deer come unglued at the sound of a crossbow at 20 yards causing the deer to duck and the result was a bad hit that did not kill the deer. The deer was looking at us and was on full alert though. Just because they are accurate doesn't mean the deer will still be there when the bolt gets there. I'd say 30 yards max.

That is why I have all the silencers and string stop. My bow only makes a dull thud when fired similar to a compound bow. Like I said, I understand the different hunting variables, I am just wondering at what distance is there not enough energy to cleanly pass through a deer. Sounds like in your experience the deer knew you were there, that is always a risky shot.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That is why I have all the silencers and string stop. My bow only makes a dull thud when fired similar to a compound bow. Like I said, I understand the different hunting variables, I am just wondering at what distance is there not enough energy to cleanly pass through a deer. Sounds like in your experience the deer knew you were there, that is always a risky shot.
A dull thud from a crossbow is not a natural sound that a deer hears in the woods during his/her day to day life, they will still react to it. Do yourself and the animal a favor and listen to these guys when they tell you that 40-45 yards is their max.

brancher147

Maybe I shouldn't have asked this question. Just forget it. I know what a reasonable distance is, and 40-50 yards is my max, and I know that deer may react to the sound of a bow. I was just wondering how much farther a xbow could (hypothetically) be effective as the bolt continues to slow down.

Buckmaster

Portage
I like to wait until I see the brown in their eyes.

Killed one at 3 yards a couple years back. Intense! Now I use a recurve and wouldn't you know, can't get within 10 now. Go figure.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It's a good question, and with that you'll get a wide variety of answers.... My comfort zone would be 40 max. Most locations I hunt offer 30 or less for an open enough shot.... I've had deer at 40 and just wasn't a good opportunity too get a good clean kill.... But everyone's experience and capabilities are different.....
Like Buckmaster, I've had shots off the ground at less then 10' where I could barely pick out the vitals....

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I shot one at 35 yards last year. Couldn't see where I hit him, not much blood and Rick (xbow guy) had to come look for him with me. Never even found another blood drop or the arrow with both of us looking and we looked for a solid 2 hours or more. I don't know if I flinched, hit a branch or what but those arrows move so fast you can't tell what happens after you squeeze the trigger.

I'm comfortable shooting a target at 50 yards with my tenpoint but will be limiting myself to much, much closer shots at deer after that whole thing and losing sleep for 2 nights over that big buck.

I ended up killing three last year and they were all 25 yards or a little closer.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Mine was 55 yards. Pulled the trigger while her head was in the beans. By the time her head came up and focused on a direction, she was leaking. I watched her fall.
Woods....30 yds. Open field....50 yds.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've drilled one at 57 yards with my compound and gut shot one at 15. Just know your limitations on live game and you'll be ok.

Reactions: Hedgelj

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
45 yards is my longest kill to date. I'm sure my xbow would kill a deer at 100 yards, If the deer were a statue. It would have to be a perfect scenario for me to take a shot past 50 yards.