Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This Weekend / Last Minute Moves

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've been waiting for what seems like forever for the type of weather we have coming this weekend. Rainy, cooler temps... time to make those last minute moves and adjustments to the stands. Joe's post with the combines working on the fields got me thinking about how close the season really is. Been tough to think about it with the hot temps.

Can't wait to get out in the woods this weekend and get busy.

Anyone else hitting it hard this weekend to do their last minute preps on their favorite spots?

I wish I could get back down to do more the next couple weekends but I'm not sure how I can. Cooler weather sure is better for it LOL last weekend I thought I was going to have a stroke walking the hills and clearing trails in that heat.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yep, my good buddy Brian is coming down tomorrow morning and hang a few more stands and ratchet some we hung a few weeks ago! Can't wait!:pickle:

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Yea I will be out Friday making my last move. I have just noticed a apple tree on the property. There isn't any ideal trees for a stand but there is one about 40yds away that might be possible to get a stand in. So I will be trying to get a ladder stand secure.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got some new brush growth to cut down. Not moving any stands. I asked permission to put up a tree stand on the other side of the neighbors hay field I'm allowed to shoot in but he said no. I have a slim chance when I go and have the permission slip signed.
At least it will decent weather.

NAC1989

Clark county
Yep, going to check the straps on set of ladder sticks and a stand and check shooting lanes on one more setup Saturday then that should have everything done and ready for this season.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I hear what you're saying about the hot temps. Tough to be in the woods when it's 90 and humid. The weather here has finally broke so I'll be out this weekend. We open on the 15th so I'm taking a chance going out there this weekend but I don't have a choice. I have 2 ladderstands hung that need a little TLC and I have 2 spots for climbers that need to have shooting lanes trimmed. I also need to check all my cameras so I can decide where I want to hunt opening morning.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I hear what you're saying about the hot temps. Tough to be in the woods when it's 90 and humid. The weather here has finally broke so I'll be out this weekend. We open on the 15th so I'm taking a chance going out there this weekend but I don't have a choice. I have 2 ladderstands hung that need a little TLC and I have 2 spots for climbers that need to have shooting lanes trimmed. I also need to check all my cameras so I can decide where I want to hunt opening morning.

2010, remember it like it was yesterday... set up my stand on opening day. The next morning killed a target buck. You're never too late!

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Well, I managed to sneak out behind the house today to fix one stand site and get it ready for a climber. One less thing I have to do this weekend.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'll be out doing some looking... watching some deer I hope. Shooting bows daily now, repairing arrows, sharpening heads...all the usual stuff, always feeling like I'm running behind - as much a part of every season as opening day itself.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I hung my final 2 sets last weekend...one hang on for a north wind 50yds from a bedding entrance/exit...and a ladder stand in a honey locust for a south wind sit along the main travel route on the other side of the property...yes I said honey locust, it sucks but it's THE tree I need to be in...I got stabbed in the ankle while clearing out brush from one of the honey locust "spikes" on Monday and my ankle has been killing me all week...no fever, and only slight redness and swelling but just sore as hell and tender to walk on...

Went to attach the stabilizer bar and the cam buckle strap wasn't long enough, so my stand is just leaning against the tree for now until I can get back out with a longer strap system to attach that stabilizer bar...not climbing up for the other attachments or to finish clearing until that is secured. Hopefully this weekend.

Oh and I brought the shotgun and killed my first dove, always wanted to try dove breasts.

Kaiser878

ohio
I just hung a set last friday at 1pm.... checked the camera Wednesday and had a visitor come by at 613 that evening.... then nearly every other evening after that..... so I apparently didn't make to.much noise or leave to much scent....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Need to repair some fletchings. Need to check a few straps. Biggest thing I NEED to accomplish is washing all my gear. Otherwise it is mainly shooting the bows. Plan on heading over to a new property with a tractor to do some field mowing for the owners today. While doing so i will hang a camera and check for trees I can hang/hunt in the same day. That is my plan on that property.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Im all set to go as of right now... clothes are washed and hanging out. Bow is dailed in and ready. Stands are up. Tags are bought. Only thing left is to decide where to hunt first...