Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Early Fall Small Mouth Bass

Well this afternoon I had my every 2 week talk with the Shrink LOL , but he dose help with my anger problems
Like wanting to pound the snot out of people sometimes for no real reason :smiley_blackeye:

Well when I was done there
I headed to a spot on the Maumee river that I fish

I took the fly rod and a box flies and hit the river

Well most of the box stayed dry
But I had good number of nice small mouth bass , 2 large mouth , a pike , 5 Channel Catfish and a bunch of rock bass pound on my flies

The best set up was a Black Sneaky Pete with 3' of 15 lb line tied to the hook ( stiffness helps ) and a streamer
No name for the streamer
Just black deer tail on top , Chartruse , silver around the hook shank and some white deer tail for the belly ....oh I do add a little lead wire as I tie the streamer

Casting upstream I slowly worked the combo back to me over some large rocks in the holes
Some bass cleared the water when hitting the Sneaky Pete , but more hit the streamer and they hit it hard

I also used a brown Mudder Minnow
That I worked on a sink tip line , a short 2' leader and the stuff to make the fly float better
The Mudder Minnow would float a foot or so off the bottom
Both the Small Mouth and rock bass were biting this well

I also had luck with a purple leach sort of fly ( another no name home made fly )

Non of the bass were huge , most were in the 8 -14" size range .....2 were about 5"
But 4 or 5 of the Small Mouth were 2 lb or a bit bigger
The pike was about 24"

I took home 8 of the rock bass to eat

I did catch some catfish
I always catch some
But 4 of the 5 hit the Black Sneaky Pete on the surface
I was not expecting that

It was nice to fish the river and not see another fisherman
Not that having others around is bad

But today I could just relax and enjoy nature

John

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Sounds great, I've never had a cat hit a sneaky Pete, popper or any other dry fly. Did catch a ten pound cat on a crawfish fly on the olentangy once, that was one hell of a fight. Always great to relax on a river, especially when the fish cooperate. If you wouldn't mind posting a pic of the streamer you tie I'd love to see it. Most of my flies are pretty inconsistent for smallmouth

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Thats awesome John!!! Two years ago i caught 19 in the same spot down by FT. Meigs in 50 minutes. Was using a number two mepps black fury on spinning tackle. Great time of the year to be down there.