Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hortontoters 2015 Season

Time to start documenting the highs and lows of the season. Plan to do my final preps for the season over the next week. Against my better judgment I plan to move my outhouse stand to a new location in the next few days. I wanted to do this early last spring but life got in the way as it sometimes does. If by chance I don't get it moved by this coming Sunday it will stay put until sometime this winter. I have a new base I just built for it set on laying in the bed of my truck as I type this. So, I'm pretty determined to get this done in the next few days.

Here's wishing everyone a productive and safe season. I'm itching to read the first IKS threads.

Topping last year will be a tall order lol.

Today was a good day. My SIL offered to go to the cabin with me to get a few things accomplished. He doesn't hunt, but knows it is a big part of my life. I wish I could get him in a stand, but so far no luck.

Today he helped me move my outhouse stand to the new location. I love the spot we moved it to, I can't wait for my first sit. I'm sure I will have opportunities to kill many deer in this new location. We only moved the stand about 25 yards, but it makes the fence crossing area much more shootable and the stand is much better hidden and easier to access. He also helped me get my bridge that washed away nine years ago out of my creek and on dry land where I can repair and reset it next summer. He trimmed all my shooting lanes as I sat in the stands giving instructions.

I pulled cards from all three cameras today and the 11 point is still the best deer hanging around my area. He just may be my target buck this season. There are a few small 8 points that need to grow a few years in the area that have decent potential if they live long enough.

Attachments

• SUNP0358.jpg
    SUNP0358.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 292
  • SUNP0371.jpg
    SUNP0371.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 245

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great stuff Dick! It's a dang good feeling getting stuff done in the timber improving your odds of success! Sounds like the outhouse move was a good one! The 11 point looks like a nice one! Hopefully even bigger deer start to move through after shedding their velvet! You never know! Nice update!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Last season was certainly a highlight season, one never to be forgotten for not only yourself, but those of us privileged enough to have been along for the ride here on TOO. One constant in this sport is that anything can happen and the next great story is behind the next tree.

Wishing you the best of luck this season my friend! We're all looking forward to what follows the Saga of Splitter!!!

Man, I slept good last night. Not having to lay awake thinking about what I needed to get done was a big relief. I have one tiny little detail to attend to which I'll do in the next day or so. After that it is just a waiting game.

Well Jesse, the Saga of Splitter is going to be a tough act to follow. The 11 point has some of Splitters antler characteristics, especially on the left side. But, the lack of split G2's makes me think Splitter wasn't his father.

All I'm hoping for this season is for a chance at a decent shooter to walk in to range.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good luck and have fun Dick!!

It's not about topping last season, since that was a pretty exciting chapter of the story, but rather looking forward to the next part of the journey. You never know what's going to happen out there in the deer woods and for me that is one of the most exciting parts of the whole adventure.

I couldn't wait to attend to my last detail. I needed to get my shooting stool a little higher in the stand and range some distances. A couple of landscaping blocks did the trick this afternoon. I even sat in the stand a couple hours after placing them on the floor. This is where I plan to spend many hours in October. Come November I'll be spending most of my time in my creek bottom stand. The camera makes things look much closer than they really are so I threw in some yardages.

Attachments

• 2015stand1.jpg
    2015stand1.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 2015stand5.jpg
    2015stand5.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 2015stand11.jpg
    2015stand11.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 2015stand10.jpg
    2015stand10.jpg