Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

3" vs. 3 1/2" for geese?

I'm about to purchase a new 12 gauge shotgun (semi-auto) for goose hunting. I'm wondering if a 3 1/2" shotgun with Steel shot is necessary over a 3" shotgun with Hevi-Shot or similar alloy ammo?

90% of my goose hunting is pass shooting in flyways. Years ago, I owned a Russian Baikal MP-153, with a Terror choke tube in .675" and used 3 1/2" Kent Fast Steel in BBBs @ 1550 f.p.s. that produced a 91% pattern inside a 30" circle at 40 yards. This combination would allow me to kill geese at 55+ yards, on a regular basis.

I've never hunted geese with anything less and don't know if it's possible to get the same kills with 12 gauge in a 3" chamber.

Your experiences and knowledge is appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Last edited:

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
My experience says buy a gun that'll shoot 3.5" so you have the option. If you pattern and decide to shoot 3" than no big deal. Personally I like shooting 3.5"'s late season when they are full of down feathers and thick! Hell if they'd make a 4" I'd probably shoot it LOL

tjeep

My Maxus will shoot 3.5 but i never shoot them. They will jam more frequently and I really dont see that much advantage with them unless you like the recoil. I shoot extended range Briley choke with 3" #2 Hevi-shot late season and snow goose, it gets the job done.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Is it needed ? Not really . But if ya can shoot em then why not do it . If you already have a 3" gun get some Hevi metal and a decent tube and it'll work fine . If your buying somethin new i'd get one that handles 3.5" . Just to have the options.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There's no reason NOT to have a 3.5" chambered gun in my opinion. Will you shoot 3.5" shells? Hell I don't know... But why would you want to limit yourself to 3" if you didn't have to?

I buy a case of Hevi-Metal 3.5" #3s every other year. It's a mix of #3 steel and #5 Hevishot. They are absolutely lethal... period. I shoot these at ducks and geese just the same. I've never had a problem shooting geese out to 45 yards. My Kicks High Flyer choke doesn't really like any shot size bigger than #2, or muzzle velocities much greater than 1550 fps, so this particular load of Hevi-Metal I have found to pattern better than most anything else from my gun.

I'm having difficulty finding the EAA Baikal line of shotguns. It appears that they are either out of production or are no longer being imported into this country. I have no intentions of spending $800+ for a semi-auto shotgun, just to get into a 3 1/2" chamber. So, that puts me back into a 3" chamber.

I'm continuing my search for a semi-auto, but in a 3" chamber and will be using some alloy ammo and a good extended choke tube. Perhaps some Federal Black Cloud in #BBs or #1s, in a 1 1/4 oz. load @ 1400 f.p.s., which should be fast enough for good kills and still pattern well out to 40 or 50 yards.

I will have to shorten my kill distances, as I can not expect to make the kills with a 3" shotgun that I was previously making with a 3 1/2" shotgun. The pattern board will make my final decisions.

Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm having difficulty finding the EAA Baikal line of shotguns. It appears that they are either out of production or are no longer being imported into this country. I have no intentions of spending $800+ for a semi-auto shotgun, just to get into a 3 1/2" chamber. So, that puts me back into a 3" chamber.

I'm continuing my search for a semi-auto, but in a 3" chamber and will be using some alloy ammo and a good extended choke tube. Perhaps some Federal Black Cloud in #BBs or #1s, in a 1 1/4 oz. load @ 1400 f.p.s., which should be fast enough for good kills and still pattern well out to 40 or 50 yards.

I will have to shorten my kill distances, as I can not expect to make the kills with a 3" shotgun that I was previously making with a 3 1/2" shotgun. The pattern board will make my final decisions.

Bowhunter57

Bella's has a stoeger M3500 on sale in realtree apg and 26 inch batter for 559. (Regular 699) Good gun with benelli internals and shoots 3.5s.

Kaiser878

ohio

Bowhunter57
Your effective range isn't any shorter with a 3 vs a 3.5. You just have less shot. Velocity is the same... I have a gun that will shoot 3.5, but I never shoot them. My 3s do just fine.... I have no issues making shit dead. I just don't like having the shit kicked out of me from the 3.5.

Wmiller07

Take a look at the franci affinity. Randy wakeman has a good review on them and they are under 800. They are made by benelli.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Stoeger 3500 and Beretta Outlander.

3500 shoots 3.5's but the Beretta has a better, by dar, trigger.

I chose Beretta. My Dealer got me mine for under $550 OTD.

I did some traveling around my area and found some interesting information about shotguns.

The Russian Baikal is no longer being imported into this country.
The H&R Excell Auto (made in Turkey) is no longer being produced.
No one seems to have any information, good or bad, about the Weatherby SA-08.
The inertia shotguns (Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi) are too harsh in recoil, compared to the gas operated Remington and Browning.

So, after the initial "sticker shock" of $1400+ MSRP, I began shopping. I found a local gun shop with a camo version of the Remington Versa Max, for $949 and the black synthetic for $849. I nearly purchased the black synthetic, but found it on Buds Gun Shop for $780.
I never thought I'd spend this much money on a shotgun, but it's a name brand and has a good reputation...and it's an investment.

Bowhutner57

Huckleberry Finn

I did some traveling around my area and found some interesting information about shotguns.

The inertia shotguns (Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi) are too harsh in recoil, compared to the gas operated Remington and Browning.

So, after the initial "sticker shock" of $1400+ MSRP, I began shopping. I found a local gun shop with a camo version of the Remington Versa Max, for $949 and the black synthetic for $849. I nearly purchased the black synthetic, but found it on Buds Gun Shop for $780.
I never thought I'd spend this much money on a shotgun, but it's a name brand and has a good reputation...and it's an investment.

Bowhutner57

Vances has the Excels in stock for $299. 28 inch barrel, all synthetic.

Kaiser878

ohio

Bowhutner57
You do realize the versa max has the same operating mechanics as the benellis Rt? they are mechanical actions, not gas.
Wait...... nevermind. I was wrong..... they are still gas. They changed the way the gas was transferred. My bad. Sorry

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
My buddy bought a versa max and it has been nothing but problems.

I really like my sx3. No issues with it.... I'd say we are creeping up on 10k shots without a cleaning.... and still functions fine. The browning maxxis ate really good guns also

Vances has the Excels in stock for $299. 28 inch barrel, all synthetic.
I have no desire to purchase a weapon that is no longer in production.

Similarly with the Russian Baikal line of shotguns that are no longer imported into this country, I will not own another one, despite how well mine functioned for the years that I owned it. I did the same thing with my Mossberg 9200, when they went out of production... Sold it to a buddy that already had one.

I've been back and forth, in my own mind, about getting a 3 1/2" shotgun. After finding an affordable price on the Remington Versa Max, I'd made the decision to get off the porch and run with the big dogs. :smiley_blink: Can't wait for the regular goose season!

Bowhunter57