Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Removing Berdan primers

antiqucycle

East Ohio
any one have a slick method? not the RCBS $80 tool or the hydraulic punch?

Think about using a wood drill as a punch.

Last edited:

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I have seen them at ne ohio gun shows for $30/1000 wolf brand by a certain ammo dealer. same price as Wolf boxer primers.
Where I might have a problem is getting the right size(metric). I have a lot of 7.5 swiss gp11 empties.
I just solved the headache of removing the fired primers in a cheap way..

I have used a old trick to remove non crimped in Berdan primers
You need something with a hole in it to let the primer come out , I used a chunk of Oak 2x4 with a hole drilled in it

You then fill the case with water and set it on the wood
So the primer can go into the hole
Then insert a hardwood "punch" into the case mouth that fits real tight
Then smack the wood punch with a hammer

Normaly the primer and most of the water comes out the primer hole
But ......Not all of it LOL
Some flys up onto you

I then have to dry the cases ......100% dry before I reload them

Crimped in primers CAN NOT be removed this way ....Trust me I tryed and the try failed

John

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Ditto on the crimped in primers, but also of the primers with lacquer or "superglue" will not come out with the hydraulic punch.

You can set the case on a proper size shell holder. I just can't get the hydraulic to work.

Try this, remove the primer punch from the sizing die. screw the die in yout press upside down. place the berdan case in it. the go to wood drill bits, the flat sided ones used to bore a half inch, 3/4" or 1" hole. The ones that have a sharp centering "punch" place the punch in the dimple from the firing pin on an angle and give it a wack. works great. I picked the upside cown die off a you tube video than pulled a wood bit out of my drawer, and bingo, primer out. with no damage to case. then either use an RCBS swager die to get ride of the tiny crimps.

Last edited: