Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Solo hunt with the pup this AM

Kaiser878

ohio
These damn early season geese keep hopping fields. Yesterday they were back in a field of mine. So I set up this morning with the pup. Had one flock come in and I went 3 for 3. Then one more from the flock circled back around and I dropped him. So it wasn't a bad morning. Only ended up with 4. But it was a good experience for the pup from his layout blind.
uploadfromtaptalk1441376842934.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice work man. How's ace doing in the blind? I know its usually tough for them to stay steady the first few times those layout blinds pop open... Just something we don't train for much.

Kaiser878

ohio
U know I cant complain. He was a statue. As i sat up and flopped the door open i yelled sit. So that probably helped a lot. He lifted up a little
But he stayed in the blind until I sent him. I didnt sit up until the first.bird in the groups feet touched the ground. Today was a much better experience with the big birds for him. I worked with him every night this week after work with handling the geese. Today, he was a different dog. He ran out wrestled with the first one and brought it back. Then the last one was a runner, I sent him on it and he hit it wide open. So today was a much better experience than his first day with geese. I was a lot happier.today

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
U know I cant complain. He was a statue. As i sat up and flopped the door open i yelled sit. So that probably helped a lot. He lifted up a little
But he stayed in the blind until I sent him. I didnt sit up until the first.bird in the groups feet touched the ground. Today was a much better experience with the big birds for him. I worked with him every night this week after work with handling the geese. Today, he was a different dog. He ran out wrestled with the first one and brought it back. Then the last one was a runner, I sent him on it and he hit it wide open. So today was a much better experience than his first day with geese. I was a lot happier.today

It's a great feeling watching your dog smack a crippled goose at full throttle. Betty ran a couple down the other day... She hit em like a freight train... all 55 pounds of her. lmao Pretty impressive to watch, really... That small of a dog showing no fear hammering a crip goose that weighs nearly 25% of her body weight. Glad to hear Ace is doing good brother... Sounds like he's gonna pick up right where Leo is leaving off.