Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Have you shot one or more coyotes, past 100 yards?

I have a good patterning shotgun for coyotes, if they're inside 60 yards.
I also have a hard hitting rifle, that's good at or inside 100 yards. (Henry 44Mag w/Open sights)
I'm considering the purchase of a Savage in .243, for shots past 100 yards...if it can be justified.

How many of you have shot 1 or more coyotes, past 100 yards?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Most are shot "at" past 100. Rarely anything inside 50.

What happened to your rifles. I recall you had one shooting darn near a .25" @ 100 groups.

I need to start hunting them again this winter. Waterfowl has the attention.

Beentown said:
What happened to your rifles. I recall you had one shooting darn near a .25" @ 100 groups.
I sold the quarter bore. Just didn't like the accuracy and am planning on starting over with a .243. I have a Savage Super 17, but don't trust it on coyotes, as they're tough customers.

Beentown said:
Waterfowl has the attention.
I may do the Waterfowl thing this year, instead of bowhunting deer. There's just not enough of a deer population around my area to justify sitting in a stand for hours/days/weeks, like I did last year...while hundreds of geese are flying overhead. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

yotehunter

spencerville oh
If you want a flat shooting varmint rifle go with a 22 250 . Easy to reload for and easy dime size groups at 100. A 55 grain v max at 3600 fps stops them pretty dam fast.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have taken shots at coyotes much farther than 100. All my kills were inside 100yds. One of them last year was within spitting distance. That one was a rush and a half. Wish I had time to swap the rifle out for the shotgun but it was too close to move much. Shotgun was laying next to me. Would have been perfect for the situation but I never anticipated a shot that close.

yotehunter,
I agree with you on the 22-250, but would prefer the .243...this time. :smiley_blink:

I found a new Savage Axis with a 22" heavy barrel, in .243, from Buds Gun Shop, for $300. After I get a decent 4x16 scope on it, some reloading dies, bullets & brass, I should be in good shape for a coyote rifle.

Now, all I have to find is a EAA Baikal MP-153 for goose hunting and I'll be in business.

Bowhunter57

yotehunter

spencerville oh
yotehunter,
I agree with you on the 22-250, but would prefer the .243...this time. :smiley_blink:

I found a new Savage Axis with a 22" heavy barrel, in .243, from Buds Gun Shop, for $300. After I get a decent 4x16 scope on it, some reloading dies, bullets & brass, I should be in good shape for a coyote rifle.

Now, all I have to find is a EAA Baikal MP-153 for goose hunting and I'll be in business.

Bowhunter57

Yea Daniel it will defiantly do the job. I just don't like a 80 grain bullet bouncing around up here in the flatlands. I've found much lower weight bullets don't do so well accuracy wise. Good luck and I hope you pile them up with your new savage.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
My longest was just shy of 400 yards. 22-250 I have taken one down at 300 yards with 12 gauge and buckshot. Laugh but its true.
We were shelling corn. I put the yote by the truck. Dad came out an hour later telling us there was a yote walking around all crazy looking by the truck. Sure enough the damn thing was alive. Musta just knocked him out.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
My longest was just shy of 400 yards. 22-250 I have taken one down at 300 yards with 12 gauge and buckshot. Laugh but its true.
We were shelling corn. I put the yote by the truck. Dad came out an hour later telling us there was a yote walking around all crazy looking by the truck. Sure enough the damn thing was alive. Musta just knocked him out.

Ha-ha he had headache. I shot one at 110 yards I had to lead him about a 8 body lengths with triple oo I couldn't believe it.

Bowhunter57 said:
Bowhunter57

Well, no thanks to our silly ass leader, all Russian weapons have been banned as imports, into this country. You can't even find them on the EAA website.
Just the same, I started out pricing the Remington Versa Max. Prices started at $1300+, then I found one for $1080 at Dicks Sporting Goods and another local gun shop for $950 (camo) and $850 (all black).

Not a bad price drop, but Buds Gun Shop had them for $770 + $25 transfer. I ordered it and it's here! The geese need to be afraid...very afraid. I purchased a Carlson's Extended Range choke tube for it, in .705" restriction and will be patterning it, soon.

As for the .243, well, Dicks Sporting Goods, FINALLY put this rifle on sale. I've been watching this rifle at $580 for 2 years and it went on sale at $450, so I brought it home. Another (EBR) evil black rifle, to slay the coyotes. I'll be purchasing reloading dies, bullets, etc. at this weekend's gun show.

Bowhunter57