Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DNR vote

tracker 6

In a thicket
DNR is voting soon, the vote is to close state ground to working dogs April 1st instead of May 1st.If you feel this shouldn't happen and would like it to stay the way it is, here is number to call 614/265/6907 ask for Dave Kohler.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I work the hell out of my dog on state ground during the month of April. The wetlands are a prime spot for working on retriever skills and steadiness during the massive spring migration. Also, I run her on woodcock during that time of year... Working on pointing and flushing. No shots fired, obviously. And the birds are pretty much unmolested. They aren't disturbed any more than if a bus load of bird watchers took a walk through the woods. For me personally, a rule change like this would really cramp my style. The designated dog training grounds in this state are few and far between, and most of the ones that do exist are total shit and worthless for any meaningful training. If they take away another month, they better get to work on some new dog training grounds. Dogs are one of the most valuable conservation tools we have. It disgusts me how little is done on public land for dogs and dog training.

tracker 6

In a thicket
Why would anyone try to turkey hunt in the same type of habitat that some one would try to run beagles in,totally different?Fields vs woods. By the way I make every attempt to be respectful of everyone sharing the outdoors.

Gooseman07

NW Ohio
I agree with Jagermeister. I wish they had more places. DNR makes it not difficult but not easy to have private training grounds. If you're training for a big test in September, where are you supposed to train mid summer? I mean, I would rather have them take away the restrictions all summer so I can train. Also, the closest dog training area is about 1.5 hours away from me. I've made the trip many times because I can't train on local state ground.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
There is no way, should running mutts screw up turkey hunting. Gobblers do like strutting in fields. If your in the business of selling dogs, go find some private land.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There is no way, should running mutts screw up turkey hunting. Gobblers do like strutting in fields. If your in the business of selling dogs, go find some private land.
First off, I doubt anyone is going out and intentionally boogering up turkeys. I'm willing to bet there's more dipshit teenagers and Michael waddell wannabees going out in April cranking on a box call than guys running dogs. But besides that, why is a turkey more important than a dog? Why is one sportsmen's interest more important than another? I pay to play just like anyone else... Why can't I have a good place to train a dog?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just playing devils advocate here. According to the DNR the reason turkey hunting stops at noon is because of nesting hens. They stated that hens are usually building and sitting on nests during that time. If they're attempting to limit human intrusion during turkey nesting season wouldn't it make sense to also restrict dogs who have he potential to be far more detrimental than a human alone?

Also. If I want to use a dog to locate a wounded turkey the law states it had to be on a leash. But if someone wants to train their dog they can let it run silly nilly.

I don't see this as taking away from dog training as much as making the intended reasons for the laws apply equally.

There are other instances of the same type of unequally applied law. For instance, the stop of turkey hunting at noon due to nesting birds. Wouldn't it also makes sense to stop hikers bikers and horseback riders. Some public hunting areas do not open until October 15. The stated reason for this is safety because of birdwatchers, hikers, cyclist, one horsemen. However on October 16 you can still find plenty of them out there. If you are going to limit hunters would it not make sense to also stop the other activities as of October 15.

JMHO for the few that actually DO train their dogs that time of year I cannot see it being any kind of impact on turkeys, turkey hunters, etc.. If there even is someone that has had it happen I'd be willing to bet it's one in a million.

First off, I doubt anyone is going out and intentionally boogering up turkeys. I'm willing to bet there's more dipshit teenagers and Michael waddell wannabees going out in April cranking on a box call than guys running dogs. But besides that, why is a turkey more important than a dog? Why is one sportsmen's interest more important than another? I pay to play just like anyone else... Why can't I have a good place to train a dog?

I couldn't agree more and I don't own a dog. I don't think anyone is out to intentionally screw up a turkey hunt while working a dog. And turkeys can only be hunted until noon the first couple of weeks anyways. And I agree that dogs are one of the best conservation tools in the fields every year.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
JMHO for the few that actually DO train their dogs that time of year I cannot see it being any kind of impact on turkeys, turkey hunters, etc.. If there even is someone that has had it happen I'd be willing to bet it's one in a million.

After reading Joes post, this was my take on it as well.... Not a ton of guys out there using public land too keep their dogs in tune.... But for some that's all they're afforded and losing a month of cooler weather does suck....
I haven't jumped turkeys while runnin the dogs in years and when I did he dogs just looked at them like WTF??? Had one bust a flock in the summer one time and she came back strutting her stuff like she was a badass.... Had there been a mature tom around.... Would of been a different story lol

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I can see both sides of the discussion. But the States looks at a lost turkey nest due to dogs disturbing it is lost probably for the year. But a lost month of dog training can be done later in the year.

Gooseman07

NW Ohio
I can see both sides of the discussion. But the States looks at a lost turkey nest due to dogs disturbing it is lost probably for the year. But a lost month of dog training can be done later in the year.

When? My understanding is that you can't train on state land May 1st to Aug 31st due to the nesting songbirds. When would they allow dog trainers to have another month?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
When? My understanding is that you can't train on state land May 1st to Aug 31st due to the nesting songbirds. When would they allow dog trainers to have another month?

Hey I don't mean to be the bad ass here but there are 8 months left in the year. Then on the other side of the issue is dog owners should have given this some thought before getting in to hunting dogs. Everything can't be free or expected in the modern world.
I'm only pointing out the issues as most people see them. I don't mainly agree but that's the way it is in this cruel world.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just think it's a stupid consideration to change that rule because I've NEVER bumped a turkey from its nest while out dog training. The wildlife in my area have actually benefitted far more for from my dog training than they've been harmed.

Jamie

Ohio
I bet mushroom hunters run more hens off their nests than hunting dogs. this is a stupid proposal. who decides if my dog is a "working dog" or not if I happen to be in the field with my dog after the closing date? I mean, does this closure mean that no dogs at all are allowed on public ground after whatever date? doesn't the ODNR have more pressing business to tend to?