Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Womens and bows

at1010

*Supporting Member*
my girlfriend has expressed interest in shooting a bow. I doubt she'd ever hunt but she does like to shoot guns.

What is the best way to teach a person to shoot. I'm no lt gong to just drop money on something she might not even like, so I want to get some opinions on how you all have crossed this bridge.

Thanks!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You need to talk with Alex before you go any further. :smiley_coolpeace:

lmao

Get you a cheap recurve and just let her fling some arrows to see if she likes it. If she takes to it, then you can look for a decent compound on Archery Talk. As for the best way to teach them, blank bale shooting while focusing on form. She should shoot 1K arrows before she ever starts shooting at dots. Work on stance, grip, pulling through the shot, and follow through. Women tend to be better shots than men from the start because they are better breathers and naturally more steady.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You need to talk with Alex before you go any further. :smiley_coolpeace:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441049450.390379.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
lmao

Get you a cheap recurve and just let her fling some arrows to see if she likes it. If she takes to it, then you can look for a decent compound on Archery Talk. As for the best way to teach them, blank bale shooting while focusing on form. She should shoot 1K arrows before she ever starts shooting at dots. Work on stance, grip, pulling through the shot, and follow through. Women tend to be better shots than men from the start because they are better breathers and naturally more steady.

I am not the guy here to speak on teaching, so I would listen to Jesse on the teaching part. What I do know? If you go compound, the youth bows with adjustable draw lengths (Diamond Razor's Edge for example) which do not require a bow press to adjust length is the way to go. I say this ONLY because there are a decent amount of them out there and they seem to sell quick. I think many buy these hoping their kid grows into them, collect dust a couple years, and are sold in like new condition. You find one for $2-300 and chances are you will get your money (or most of it) back in a year or two. Sometimes they can be found cheaper. Just a thought IF you go compound. If she gets serious shooting. . . .get your money back and then decide if the relationship is worth a bigger financial investment. lmao