Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Metro parks qualifying

Norma and I were out today and ran across guys shooting to qualify to hunt in the park system just north of Akron. One thing was very clear, up here in the NE crossbows dominate the archery hunting scene. We watched quite a few guys qualify and never saw a compound or recurve.

To qualify took very little as seen by the target. Shooters shot five shots at ten yards resting against an upright pole that acted as a bow holder. The shooter had to keep five arrows inside the 9 ring. You could shoot at twenty yards and as long as all five arrows were in the black you would be good to go. Most everyone shot at 10 yards.

There was a nice elevated stand to practice from out to 30 yards. Funny thing was two guys with compounds were shooting from the elevated stand. Never saw a crossbow guy venture up there though.

Attachments

• DSCF1405.jpg
    DSCF1405.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF1407.jpg
    DSCF1407.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF1408.jpg
    DSCF1408.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 70
Hopefully the guys doing the hunts represent us all as hunters very well. Eyes will be on them for sure with a metro park hunt. On the bright side at least they are using hunters and not sharpshooters and trying to at least make sure some are ready. 10 yards is pretty dang close though to not be busting up bolts. On the low tear Joe, could it be possible it's too light of a point? The other thread got me thinking about that.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hopefully the guys doing the hunts represent us all as hunters very well. Eyes will be on them for sure with a metro park hunt. On the bright side at least they are using hunters and not sharpshooters and trying to at least make sure some are ready. 10 yards is pretty dang close though to not be busting up bolts. On the low tear Joe, could it be possible it's too light of a point? The other thread got me thinking about that.

Sadly there will be a few shmucks that will be slobs.... Wish they'd have a sportsman group oversee the qualification of it and make it,ore stringent....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I give most people the benefit of the doubt, so I assume most of these hunters are good people. Is that impressive shooting? No, not at all. But the reality is for A LOT of hunters in the Ohio woods that is good enough. We here at TOO are not 'most hunters.' Practicing endlessly and constantly fine tuning our hunting setups is unfortunately not the norm. So just be careful not to be too judgemental of your fellow hunter... Without people showing up shooting those mediocre groups, there may not be a metroparks hunt at all.

Maybe he intentionally aimed at different places. His height is pretty consistent. The left and right has two to the left and two to the right. Maybe he was conserving arrows, only he knows for sure. Only thing about it was he brought his arrows in a box that you buy them off the shelf in. Actually, quite a few shooters had the arrows in store shelf boxes when they arrived. But, the arrows were loose in the box and had field points, so I assumed they had shot them ahead of time.

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
I'm along the lines that he wasn't wanting to split arrows... NO WAY that can be his group at 10yds...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm along the lines that he wasn't wanting to split arrows... NO WAY that can be his group at 10yds...

Oh you would be surprised. I've seen compound and crossbow shooters both who couldn't hold a group if their life depended on it. If everyone always qualified they wouldn't make people do it..