Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wasp sting

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got stung by a black paper nest wasp on Tuesday. It hurt and burned like hell. I had my normal Doctor appointment today. I showed him how after 2 days there is a 4" red swelled area. In other times the redness goes away in couple hours.
"Oh yes. The later in the season with the mature wasp are eating good the venom is stronger and more of it in mature older wasp".

Moral of the story is if you are going to be stung by wasp have it done earlier in the summer when the wasp are smaller with less venom. He laughed when I asked him just what am I going to do with that information?

themedic

OHIO
I was weed eating the other day and forgot about the nest being built on the side of my garage. One came out and reminded me. Nailed the back of my left hand. It swelled up like a rubber glove full of air. Then for 3 days it itched like crazy. When I got done weed eating I put 2 bottles of wasp spray on the nest and knocked it off with a flat shovel.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Read something the other day on wasp nests.... When you knock them down, spray the area it was attached too with bleach.... Does away with the scent of the previous nest and aren't prone too rebuild there again....

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I got stung on the ear at work last week by one of those bastards and it burned like you said yours did but the itching for the next three days was a bitch.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Read something the other day on wasp nests.... When you knock them down, spray the area it was attached too with bleach.... Does away with the scent of the previous nest and aren't prone too rebuild there again....

I covered all the old nest areas up with batting insulation so their out of luck there.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
when people say wasps, I think of the dark black skinny one who like to lick water spots on a sidewalk or patio. When people talk about the large hanging paper nests that are made by bald faced hornets that seem to the nastiest stingers. At least as bad as the little nasty yellow jackets that typically live in a hole in the ground.

themedic

OHIO
when people say wasps, I think of the dark black skinny one who like to lick water spots on a sidewalk or patio. When people talk about the large hanging paper nests that are made by bald faced hornets that seem to the nastiest stingers. At least as bad as the little nasty yellow jackets that typically live in a hole in the ground.

I got hit by some kind of hornet. They was making a paper nest on the side of my concrete block farage. When I peeled the nest off their was a 1/2 inch hole that went into the block.....it filled that up with wasp foam too! They was buzzing around hat day but are gone now.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The reddish brown critters usually found in dormer or gables and hunkered on a paper honeycomb like nest are what we always called Paper Wasps. They like to sting TOO! Mud Dobbers are the fuggars donned in blackish purple and make long tunnel like nest usually in rows 2-5 side by side and make that irritating buzzing sound.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Been there, done that. Anytime i'd get stung, i have to get a shot, no matter what. It sucks

Buckmaster

Portage

They rebuild under the fan box mount of my windmill. Same place year in and year out. It's 23 feet in the air and slightly out of range of those 29 foot Raid sprays after the initial blast.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
They rebuild under the fan box mount of my windmill. Same place year in and year out. It's 23 feet in the air and slightly out of range of those 29 foot Raid sprays after the initial blast.

10' ladder.... Problem solved lol.... Just go up halfway.... The fall won't be so bad then.... lol

Buckmaster

Portage
This year they made my Wood Duck box their home. Bald faced hornets.

A few weeks back I discovered the nest swelling out of the entry hole in the box.

I awaited until dark, grabbed my flashlight, piece of old rebar, and a can of Raid.

I recruited my lovely assistant...that would be my wife.

She stood 30 feet behind me holding the flashlight beacon while I advanced toward the wood duck box. I proceed to gently turn the whole box bank side so I could access the entry hole. I then proceed to puncture a hole into the nest with the piece of rebar. Instantaneously, my wife drops the flashlight and begins running away.

She got stung on the temple, me, unscathed. Hornets 1: Me: 0.

The next night she fired herself so I did the deed myself. Amazingly they had rebuilt the large puncture hole I had placed in it the night before. A couple shots of Foam spray and the following morning....dead hornets.

Hornets 1: Me: 1.

I'm now in quest of a.....lovely assistant.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This year they made my Wood Duck box their home. Bald faced hornets.

A few weeks back I discovered the nest swelling out of the entry hole in the box.

I awaited until dark, grabbed my flashlight, piece of old rebar, and a can of Raid.

I recruited my lovely assistant...that would be my wife.

She stood 30 feet behind me holding the flashlight beacon while I advanced toward the wood duck box. I proceed to gently turn the whole box bank side so I could access the entry hole. I then proceed to puncture a hole into the nest with the piece of rebar. Instantaneously, my wife drops the flashlight and begins running away.

She got stung on the temple, me, unscathed. Hornets 1: Me: 0.

The next night she fired herself so I did the deed myself. Amazingly they had rebuilt the large puncture hole I had placed in it the night before. A couple shots of Foam spray and the following morning....dead hornets.

Hornets 1: Me: 1.

I'm now in quest of a.....lovely assistant.

Don't ya hate it when that happens. "No honey it'll be fine". Kepow!

Shit.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This post turned out rather interesting. At least I know bad shit doesn't just happen to me as the family says 'only you dad'.