Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Could it be? 9 year or older old buck

themedic

OHIO
In 2009 late season a big buck showed up on a farm I hunt that I had never seen before. I soon named him Denali and hunted him before he vanished as quickly as he appeared. I never saw Denali again (on cam or in person) on my farms in that area ever again. That was 2009 and he must have been at least a 3 year old.

Yesterday I pulled a SD card off that same farm and a buck looked strikingly familiar to Denali. I rushed home to put the picture side by side.

Could it be Denali at 9 years old or older? Is that possible? Heavily hunted area, that I run cameras on a lot. This was the only picture I got of this buck on this card pull and you can tell, he saw the camera and must not have liked it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Judging age beyond 4 or 5 is sure tough. Seeing some better views (I know you said this was the only pic you got) would help. Some sag around the face or neck in skin, knowing if there was any sag in the back. . . All indicators which would help. Hard saying based on this pic. Got to be the same genetics if it is a different deer. No doubt there.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Holy cow! If that isnt him, it sure looks like him! My buddy has a 9 yr old pet buck. He looks about the same with every passing year...

Hogmister13

If I Was a bettin man I would say that's Denali, the pics are discrete but you can tell he has a big Pot Belly and looks like the face is pretty grey, that's def an old deer. The rack it almost identical except for the tine length which a lot a deer will lose as they get older than 5

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I think it could be him....short brows with sweeping beams, tines in same place and angles...he looks older in the body and face. Good luck with him.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I agree with everyone. Sure looks like the same buck.. 9 yrs old. WOW is all I can say especially is a heavy hunted area. That means this buck knows somewhere no one else does. Good luck with him

themedic

OHIO
The buck in the first pic looks older than three to me. I say no way

The pic above was a nasty, cold bitter night and I'm sure he wasn't looking his best. I think this pic makes him look much younger. I agree is a long shot but damn it could be.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wow... Sure does look like him. Pretty rare for a deer, let alone a buck, to make it to that age in Ohio, but stranger things have happened before. Kill that slob and let's see those molars!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't think it is. By age 5 most deer that I've seen start doing funky stuff with their rack. Splits, kickers, flyers, mass etc. No way he's gone the past 6 years and maintained the same rack. I would say without a doubt it's his offspring however.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Idk, my buddy's pet buck is 9, he has about the same rack now that he had as a 3 yr old. Ive said it a dozen times, he now looks like he "needs a year"