Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cecil the lion - a little truth

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm a long time member of JD Jones club called the Handgun Hunters International. In this months news letter a outfitter from Saskatchewan wrote a true story on the demise of Cecil the lion.
He was in the same camp at the same time with his own clients when Cecil the lion was killed.

There was a elephant carcass that died of natural causes 2 1/2 km from the park boundaries. The PH and the hunter seen a lion on the carcass early in the day so they set up a ground blind and came back that night for a lion hunt.
A lion came in and it was shot. When shot they did not see the collar. But it is totally legal to shoot collared animals as long as the collar is turned into the Park officials. Which was done with no problem at that time.

Now get this. The collar is GPS controlled so if anyone is to blame it's the Park Official was supposed to watching the lion's movement.

Nothing was wrong until the do-gooders raised a stink of Cecil the famous lion was no longer in the park for picture taking.

The proper permits were used, there was no gut pile baiting to entice the lion to leave the Park, the collar was turned over to park officials as required by law.

If the local courts are fair nothing will be done.

If I understood it correctly the lion 'feed the village'. The permit trophy fees is split between the outfitter, government, and the village area. One of the trackers in camp that week had a relative killed by a elephant and no do-gooders even raised a word of protest.

As Paul Harvey would say 'now that's the rest of the story'.

teej89

NE PA
from what I heard was there was no lion quota in the zone that he shot the lion and that they found the lion caucus beheaded and the gps tracker was attempted to be destroyed.

I'm not saying I think people should be all "oh my poor cecil" I think those people are morons. However I do feel like some laws were ignored in killing the lion. The guy should just get his license revoked and fined and carry on with his life.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
from what I heard was there was no lion quota in the zone that he shot the lion and that they found the lion caucus beheaded and the gps tracker was attempted to be destroyed.

I'm not saying I think people should be all "oh my poor cecil" I think those people are morons. However I do feel like some laws were ignored in killing the lion. The guy should just get his license revoked and fined and carry on with his life.

Just reporting the facts written by someone who was on the spot at the same time. Not by wanta-be's who don't anything except what they are told or make up shit to stir the pot with. Not referring to you tee89.
I doubt very much a well known outfitter would but anything but the true facts out.