Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wrist Slings

themedic

OHIO
I've never had one and think they get in he way more than help. Do you think they really do anything? Who uses one?

I know the buck I shot in 2011 wad a direct result of being able to grab my bow and shoot with in seconds. Add manipulating a sling and clipping on a release (I shoot a thumb release peconnected) and I'de had missed my opportunity.

This post comes after watching hunting shows and seeing these cut aways where guys look away from the deer to do the above motions.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Whatever works for you. I use one. I do watch hunting shows on occasion. I rarely look at their gear. It will change next week if they get a better offer from another product sponsor. I have never noticed any interference from my sling.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've always had one and it would never cost me a deer. I would never consider shooting a bow without one either. Having one instinctively allows you to loosen your grip and without one, you're going to grip the bow harder than you should whether you realize it or not. They are a valuable aid in becoming a better shot and must for me.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I've always had one and it would never cost me a deer. I would never consider shooting a bow without one either. Having one instinctively allows you to loosen your grip and without one, you're going to grip the bow harder than you should whether you realize it or not. They are a valuable aid in becoming a better shot and must for me.

I totally agree with Jesse.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

When the older seasoned shooters at our club began teaching us to shoot this wrist sling was one of the first things they suggested I get to aid in what Jesse mentioned above. It's imperative to have a relaxed grip to avoid torque before during and after your shot and the sling also helps you keep from dropping your bow after the shot.

It doesn't slow me down if I need my bow in a hurry cuz just grabbing my bow from up under the sling it's already doing it's job.

Kaiser878

ohio
I use them, always have... I rely on it. I use a fairly stiff one, actually it's one fluteman made for me. Doesn't take any longer to grab my bow with it on than it does with it off. It's second nature now, I just slide my hand through and grab my bow

teej89

NE PA
Always used one and always will. when in the stand I purposely cant it to the side so I can easily slip my hand in. When shooting w/o one my shooting goes down dramatically. I don't have to worry about grabbing the bow when it goes off.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I use them, always have... I rely on it. I use a fairly stiff one, actually it's one fluteman made for me. Doesn't take any longer to grab my bow with it on than it does with it off. It's second nature now, I just slide my hand through and grab my bow
This ^^^.

I'll always shoot with one on my bow. Everyone, and I mean everyone, I've ever seen shoot without a wrist sling grabs the bow as soon as they trip their release. Some people have a hard enough time trusting their grip even when they use a sling... So lots of times it's even worse without. For me, reaching for my bow is second nature. I can do it without looking or taking extra time. The biggest thing is using one like Zach mentioned that's not really loose. Paracord slings are the way to go.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Thanks for starting this thread! I had been struggling with gripping my bow the last couple weeks and my 60 yard groups had gone to hell. Just realized I hadn't switched my sling from my old bow to the new one lol...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440459459.509819.jpg
I loosened my grip and that tightened up my group instantly!

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I've always had one and I think it helps with follow through. I can basically let the bow fall forward after the shot. I was shown that follow through a few years ago at my local shop and I couldn't do it without a sling.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
When I shot compound, I always had a wrist sling.... Back then they stabilizer kept it in place and tight.... It was more of a psychological thing knowing it wouldn't have fallen outta my hand after my release.... I always had a very relaxed grip when I shot it..... Just a simple leather sling was all it was....

I've always had one on my bow for years. It gives me peace of mind when I shoot, yes, especially up in a treestand shooting down. I have it more though for when I am waiting for a deer to make it's move I can have the bow in my hand but if my hand gets cold from holding on to the bow I can relax it and hang on with the sling instead. If that makes any sense. I am also one who likes to hold my bow the last half hour of the day so the sling helps with that too.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Brock is the exception to the rule. He won't admit it, but he is the 1% when it comes to shooting a bow. A guy with his skills and experience can get away without something that could be considered a "training aid" to others. Wrist slings serve a valuable purpose and should be used by the other 99% to avoid bad habits and develop confidence.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I use one when shooting in the summer and in early fall. As soon as I put gloves on, the sling comes off. All comes down to what you're used to and how confident you are.