Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone kill a deer with a 44 Mag rifle?

I own a Henry in 44 Mag and have been shopping for a 1895 Marlin CB in 45/70, for deer hunting. However, I've been reading several articles of guy killing their share of deer with the 44 Mag. So, I'm wondering if I should even bother getting the Marlin 45/70.

Having said that, I understand that the 45/70 is going to kill the deer with more authority, but my shots are going to be inside 130 yards...most likely inside 80 yards. I don't think I'm going to have a problem killing a deer with my Henry. Shot placement is everything. :smiley_bril:

I'd like to hear from those of you, that have killed a deer (or more) with a 44 Mag rifle.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I killed several deer years ago when I was doing crop damage permits for a farmer. A 44 mag rifle will do anything a 44 mag pistol will do just a little further. The 44 mag and the 45-70 both have rainbow flight paths so getting the yardage right is important at longer ranges.
I still have my Ruger Deerslayer auto 44 mag rifle and would use it in a minute. I shoot lead cast bullets only in the 44 mag pistol and used both the 240 and 310 gr. lead bullets in the rifle. I took a Texas heart shot at about 50 yds and the shot was 1" from the butt hole and exit was in the neck area. A complete pass through and the doe dropped in it's tracks.
I've taken 23 deer with pistols and 22 was with the 44 mag and one with a iron sighted 45LC. All with lead bullets. Only lost one deer because the next door property owner wouldn't give permission to go on his property and later found out he tracked the deer and ended up eating it so no loss.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
stick with the 44. 45/70 ammo is overpriced. With Zody "retiring", expect 30/30's to be legal soon.

I don't see it happening on the 30-30.
At to pricing on any ammo I reload everything except my CCW ammo for liability reasons.

Buckmaster

Portage
I've shot them in years past with a .44 mag pistol and last year I shot one at 20 yards right behind the ears with a .44 Henry.
.44 kills deer, probably a little overkill actually.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I consider nothing is overkill. Dead is dead and you can't over dead anything. But you can under dead so to speak with a non sporting round like the 357 mag. IMHO

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I'm going to try to shoot one with a hot .45 colt this year. As long as I get good shot placement and keep it close I think it'll be fine. Your 44 mag should work even better and give you a little more range IMO. The bullet on these loads is a Hornady XTP (same thing I shoot in my muzzleloader).

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm going to try to shoot one with a hot .45 colt this year. As long as I get good shot placement and keep it close I think it'll be fine. Your 44 mag should work even better and give you a little more range IMO. The bullet on these loads is a Hornady XTP (same thing I shoot in my muzzleloader).

I took one deer with the 45 Colt using a soft lead cast bullet at 25 yds. My friend cast me up some special hollow point bullets that the hollow point was 5 sided. I took out the liver and the liver looked like a cut pie. I was so impressed with the bullet design I got a bullet mold in 44 caliber. Haven't used the 44 bullet yet but plan to.

Mooosie

I never killed a deer with a 44 magnum rifle but I did kill one that was carrying a knife[emoji3]

Gentlemen,
I appreciate all the input, from everyone. :smiley_blink: I'm sticking with the Henry (steel frame) and will be using it during our Deer Gun Season. Hornady XTP 240gr. JHP bullets will be making the kill, this year.

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

themedic

OHIO
Gentlemen,
I appreciate all the input, from everyone. :smiley_blink: I'm sticking with the Henry (steel frame) and will be using it during our Deer Gun Season. Hornady XTP 240gr. JHP bullets will be making the kill, this year.

Bowhunter57

It is a very nice looking gun. You seem to know your guns. If I wanted a good, low priced but still accurate lever action for Ohio deer hunting. What gun, brand, model, caliber, would you suggest?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
It is a very nice looking gun. You seem to know your guns. If I wanted a good, low priced but still accurate lever action for Ohio deer hunting. What gun, brand, model, caliber, would you suggest?
What type of hunting and what distances are you planning on shooting?

Do you reload?

44mag is a good compromise of many of those questions. Readily available ammo with decent ballistics and reasonable recoil.

45/70 has greater recoil, but with practice could reach farther than a 44mag. Ammo availability is there but pricier.

444 marlin is another great cartridge bury I haven't ever seen it in a store like Cabelas.

Those would be the primary calibers I would be looking at. There are others buy the best ones are Wildcats that require you to reload and see a gunsmith for barrels and such.

Gun choice will be dependent on hunting style and cost. Single shots, and lever actions are the most common with a few bolt actions and only one semi auto in those calibers available. Common will mean cheaper generally.

Brands....
Well it depends on your budget and your thoughts. Henry makes fine rifles but you pay for it and the name. The older Marlins fit and finish is A LOT nicer than any new one I have put my hands on and generally are priced at a premium because of it. The takedown of my marlin is super easy though for cleaning. Winchester lever actions always seem pricey and the way they subject eject can impact the ability to put a scope on the gun. The Rossi, and other brands are at a lower price point and the fit and finish, action movement, etc reflects this but they still function and shoot well. Ruger makes a bolt action 44mag and had the only semi auto I know of in the 44mag carbine.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Gentlemen,

Bowhunter57

Very good looking gun!
Enjoy the season!

themedic

OHIO
What type of hunting and what distances are you planning on shooting?

Do you reload?

44mag is a good compromise of many of those questions. Readily available ammo with decent ballistics and reasonable recoil.

45/70 has greater recoil, but with practice could reach farther than a 44mag. Ammo availability is there but pricier.

440 marlin is another great cartridge bury I haven't ever seen it in a store like Cabelas.

Those would be the primary calibers I would be looking at. There are others buy the best ones are Wildcats that require you to reload and see a gunsmith for barrels and such.

Gun choice will be dependent on hunting style and cost. Single shots, and lever actions are the most common with a few bolt actions and only one semi auto in those calibers available. Common will mean cheaper generally.

Brands....
Well it depends on your budget and your thoughts. Henry makes fine rifles but you pay for it and the name. The older Marlins fit and finish is A LOT nicer than any new one I have put my hands on and generally are priced at a premium because of it. The takedown of my marlin is super easy though for cleaning. Winchester lever actions always seem pricey and the way they subject eject can impact the ability to put a scope on the gun. The Rossi, and other brands are at a lower price point and the fit and finish, action movement, etc reflects this but they still function and shoot well. Ruger makes a bolt action 44mag and had the only semi auto I know of in the 44mag carbine.

I want a gun that will shot 150 yards accurately with out of the box amo, one I can scope and can pull out of the gun safe every year and be spot on! I bought a H and R 20 ga. Ultra hunter a few years ago for that reason but it just hasn't preformed the way I hoped.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I want a gun that will shot 150 yards accurately with out of the box amo, one I can scope and can pull out of the gun safe every year and be spot on! I bought a H and R 20 ga. Ultra hunter a few years ago for that reason but it just hasn't preformed the way I hoped.

Then look at the Ruger 44 mag bolt action rifle and shoot the pointed plastic bullets.
Or look at the Marlin 45-70 and shoot the pointed plastic bullets.
Just remember you get what you pay for and looking at 450-700. But have top quality firearm that you grand kids can have some day.
IMHO

Not fair to compare a shotgun slug gun to a good rifle.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
But if you do, what has more effective range? Ease of shooting IYO?

With lots of experience and practice 200 yds. Both the 44 mag and 45-70 have rainbow bullet path. Practice and experience with a good range finder would be good assistance.