Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How would you react?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Heard a great story the other day from my buddy Dave's father in law.

His son came home from college for the weekend to bow hunt. He spotted a bedded shooter in the opposite wood lot from the field he was going to hunt. Decided to put the stalk on.

He spent the next hour trying to get close enough for a shot. He Got within shooting range and went to get in position to shoot. The Buck hadn't noticed him sneaking in. When he rose to shoot he couldn't find the body in his pins. Inched closer, Buck still didn't move... Kept going, still didn't move.

Gets close enough to see why... It's a dead head with mostly bones left for a body. Mostly eaten away by critters. Lol

He stalked a dead deer. How pissed would you be???

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Disappointed, yea...
But sooner or later we all do something like that or think a shape we see from the stand just before shooting light is one.
It's just part of the total hunting experience.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hell do it and then don't tell on yourself. Now he really doesn't know if his stalking is good or bad.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
It would have surly been a let down, but a good laugh afterwards! Lol
Heck, I told you guys about the matched set of sheds in a standing corn field I stumbled across!!!! Lmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
One morning, while enjoying a hung-over-up-too-early rabbit hunt with my recurve in 1990, I shot a sitting cottontail, only to find he had previously died. How did I react? Spent the rest of the morning throwing up intermittently as I smelled the rotten gut-covered arrow in my quiver with my hung-over nose. It's one of my fondest memories, and one of the greatest shots I've ever made.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Lmao!

Brock, my dad always tells a similar story about his brother. They were out bunny hunting and his brother shot at one. It appeared to have jumped a drainage ditch after getting hit.
When they found it, it was already stiff as a board only a couple minutes later... And cold.
They found one that had been dead for awhile. Never did find the fresh kill.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My first year toting a shotgun for rabbits my older brother and a friend found a dead frozen rabbit and propped it up against a small tree in some briars.... We were walking some train tracks and they pointed out too me so I could get my first shotgun bunny kill..... Shot it and it just stayed up against the tree, thought I missed and shot again....it fell over that time and they're behind me laughing their asses off at me.... Yeah, I wasn't amused back then... lol, now I look back and laugh when I think about it.....