Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Self-propelled Snow Blowers?

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I need an honest opinion, please.

I have a really long driveway and in the winter, I'm stuck in my house. There have been numerous times that the roads are clear, but I'm stuck at home due to an iced over driveway.

I have shoveled a foot path to the road (actually in the grass next to the driveway) for ZJ to be able to walk down to catch his bus, but dag, that about kills me and takes forever!

I am wanting to know about self-propelled snow blowers and yea, the cheapest they make!

I am 5 foot and weigh roughly 110, and am old......not kidding on the age, I'm old and I'm not very strong. When I get gas for the mower, I only buy 3 gallons. I can lift a full 5 gallon can, but pouring it into a mower is so heavy and awkward, I stick to the 3 gallons at a time.

Do you guys think I could actually run one? I don't want to spend the money for it to just sit there.

I have no intentions (unless its super easy!) of even clearing my whole driveway. I just thought if I could cut a path (maybe 2) from my porch to the road, then ZJ would not miss as much work, and there would be traction for one tire on the car! hahaha

What are the chances of me being able to operate one?

Here's one from Lowe's :
http://www.lowes.com/pd_189194-270-...Id=3255746&pl=1&Ntt=sef+propelled+snow+blower

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I have the exact one you posted. Its big and bulky and may be too much for you. It takes a while to get used to. You could get away with something smaller for sure.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I appreciate knowing that, Dustin. It's the smallest one Lowe's has. Where would I look for a smaller one, and what would I looking for?

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Do you have a 4 wheeler? I use my side by side with a snow plow. I actually move tons of snow in a short bit. A used 4 wheeler with a 4' blade would getter done fast. Plus, everyone needs a 4 wheeler anyways! Lol

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Ok, I see that the one from Lowe's is about 175 pounds. Walmart has one that weighs about 100 pounds.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Why not take that money and pay someone to plow it?

I have thought about that. Many years ago there was a local guy that did that, but he moved over 10 years ago and no one on our road has had it done since. lol

I'll have to see if there is someone that comes out this way w/o charging an arm and a leg.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Go too the gym youngin..... lol....
Most self propelled are big and bulky... The regular snowblower isn't as bad.... Don't overlook them as an option, just takes a little longer on the heavy stuff is all.... If you can use a push mower you can use a standard snowblower.....

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
If you can use a push mower you can use a standard snowblower.....

I've pushed mowed for years, so if that's all the strength I need for a regular one, then I can handle that!

Qback5

You might look into a single stage. Not self-propelled, but way lighter, and as the paddle operates, it tends to pull you along to give a feeling of self-propelled. I have used three different tori single stages over pay 39 years between me and my dad, very reliable, very easy to use, and throws most snow as far as a two stage.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
If a 4 wheeler is too much, start going to house auctions looking for a garden tractor with a plow and chains. I bought one at a garage sale for $75, used it to mow a small lawn for 6 years and resold it for $250.

We own a self propelled one and even my kids can operate it and my wife did a couple times this past year when it snowed bad before I got home from work. The only thing that can go wrong is spinning tires and a wiggle and a little persuasion usually gets it back on track very easily. Make sure it has forward and reverse and you would be fine. A light single stage I promise will be way more of a workout than what you will get with the self propelled, especially in snow over 4". If you don't get much more than that you would be fine with one of those tho but you still have to move it. We use ours any time we get over 3-4" of snow and up to 2 feet is not a problem, you just let the blower do the work and take it slow.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
We own a self propelled one and even my kids can operate it and my wife did a couple times this past year when it snowed bad before I got home from work. The only thing that can go wrong is spinning tires and a wiggle and a little persuasion usually gets it back on track very easily. Make sure it has forward and reverse and you would be fine. A light single stage I promise will be way more of a workout than what you will get with the self propelled, especially in snow over 4". If you don't get much more than that you would be fine with one of those tho but you still have to move it. We use ours any time we get over 3-4" of snow and up to 2 feet is not a problem, you just let the blower do the work and take it slow.

I've pushed mowed my yard for a long time and this year got a self-propelled mower. When I first pushed it over to the grass (not running) I wondered what the hell I had got myself in to because it was so heavy. Then I actually used it and man, what a world of difference! Now, I keep it running until it is parked back where it goes!

I guess I was/am hoping a self-propelled snow blower would be manageable, if not easy, like the mower is.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If you get a used one Diane, just make sure the flutes (rubber on auger or paddle) are in good shape and that the belt (if it's belt drive) is in good shape as well... Not hard too change either but it will leave you high and dry if they give out.... There are gear driven (belt less) drives as well but IMHO stay away from them as the gears will wear/break and is way more costly too fix....

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I thought you had kids that lived with you or near by? Put them to work!

My son is handicapped. He is a huge help with things that he can do (unload groceries, bring in firewood, etc) but he can not operate any type of mechanical things. No one else lives close.

J, I'd be buying new just so I didn't get ripped off! lol

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I used my mom's MTD self propelled blower. It took a fair amount of muscle to turn because the axel was solid. Others might be different.