Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trail cam help

Steelheadtracker

I don't know anything about trail cams and recently got a moultrie a-5 for 50 dollars. That night I read some reviews that have made me want to return it and put an extra 30 40 dollars towards a better one. The primary thing people were talking about was the delay time not going any lower than a minute. Any advice/recommendations are appreciated. Thanks for you time!

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
That's like asking what's better...Blondes, Brunettes or Redheads. You will get a lot of different answers. I'm a fan of Browning and Exodus Cams.
The Browning Recon Force and Strike force can be picked up for around $120. They are well built and long lasting cams.
Exodus is a new cam company on the market. They are more costly...$229...but have a 5 year warranty. No other camera company goes more than a year on the warranty that I know of. I have only had mine for slightly over a month but they take great pics.
I have some Bushnell's too and they are good cams.
The only Moultrie I ever owned was junk and Covert will never see any money of mine again because of their customer service department.

Steelheadtracker

Thanks for the info guys. Right after I posted my wife said that if I wanted to go return it we could (she was tired prior). I returned it and picked up a wild game innovations blade x6. Was easy to set up . Put that and a feeder up on my in laws property by their pond where the deer drink which is at the edge of the woods. Was excited to set it up so my wife and I set the feeder and the cam up in the dark. What a pain at night lol. Never used a feeder before. My father in law bought it so him and his wife can watch the deer at the corner of the pond, so that worked in my favor lol.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
A faster trigger will cost more. You could return it ( as I see you did) or just keep it positioned so traffic comes straight at it or away, instead of from left/right across the sensor. Used at a feeding station is another option.

Don't worry... you'll have another one or two down the road... Its kinda addicting! lol

Hogmister13

My Opinion Moultrie Is a Better Camera Than WildGame but there are a lot of issues with the A-5's not wanting to take night time pictures.

Steelheadtracker

I read online there is an easy fix to the night pic problem on the a5 but can't remember off the top of my head what it was. I read it when I was reading reviews and someone had that problem and contacted moultrie who knew what the issue was.

You get what you pay for with cams. Simple as that. And do your homework. TrailCam Pro has the best website out there IMO.

Agreed!

I have been a Covert fan for a while now but if I look back I had quite a few problems with them too. Thank goodness I had a contact there who helped me out more than once. Now that he is gone I am stuck with a few cameras that keep leaking, draining batteries and flashes that don't work, all within a few months. Our last pull we had 7 cameras out for over 2 1/2 months, all with new batteries. Of the 7 five of them were Coverts, one Moultrie and one Wildgame. All 5 Coverts were dead when we opened them: 1 was full of water (not sure if it will work or not yet), 1 was full of mud as wasps made a home in it (works but the flash now quit), 1 quit after a month with fresh batteries, 2 took a lot of good pics but died after about 2 months. The Wildgame was taking pics still but it has terrible sensing and trigger speed as there are times you will get one pic and then nothing and corn/mineral miraculously disappears. The Moultrie was still going and taking bursts of pics over a very busy mineral site. Go figure.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have a browning and so far it has been good,also not big on moultries but have had great luck with their 990i blackout,have had it out for over 2 yrs and no problems yet,might have just got lucky and got a good one.lol
Wildgame are hit or miss,have one good one and one bad one.
Like Jesse said...you get what ya pay for.

Steelheadtracker

Update: the camera seems to be working and doing its job. No deer pics yet which is probably because the feeder is in an odd spot because my in laws want to be able to see deer come to the feeder from the house. I just put the cam by that for now until i narrow down how it works and want the settings. It is Taking pics night and day which are nice and clear. The pics are just of my mother in law walking by with the dog and me out there last night checking on it, but atleast I know it's working. I had several pics of the wind blowing the pine tree limbs by the feeder this morning due to it being pretty windy here. I trimmed all the branches around it and will see what happens. Once I get it down I'm going to move the cam near the trail the deer are using by my stand. Thanks for the help guys.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I highly recommend using apples and pears as bait as well! Try taking some peanut butter and smearing some on a fence post,stump,limb or anything near the feeder and pile of fruit. Peanut butter can be smelled by humans at a pretty good distance so imagine how far a deer can smell it. It will help lead deer to your pile/feeder then once they visit it a few times they'll become regulars.

Steelheadtracker

I'm going out there tomorrow to do some limb/debris clean up around the stand. I'll bring some peanut butter thanks for the idea! They have a pear tree and a few crab apple trees I can harvest some fruit from to put out there. Thanks for the ideas.