Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Antler restoration

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
I have an old deadhead I found turkey hunting a few years back that I wanted to restore. I bought everything I needed a year ago but hadn't found the right rainy day. Since a week from now I will probably never live in Ohio again I decided now is the perfect time. Here's tonight's progress with a drill, a nail, and some epoxy sculpt.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439860557.495789.jpg
Pretty bad damage to the left main beam
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439860585.271417.jpg
Here's the progress fixing the kicker on the right g2
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439860695.217902.jpg
Drilled a hole in, rolled the epoxy into a little thin rod and eased it in there, and then pushed the nail in. Should provide a solid foundation for the epoxy tomorrow.
Wish I would've seen this buck the few times I hunted this farm. He's a northern Ohio buck and even his skull regardless of the antlers is impressive.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
In the future I will remember to cut the head off the nail or use wire. Even though though it was a tiny head it kept separating the tip of the extra point from the rest of it when I touched it

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Thanks guys. This is the stuff to use
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440380278.475502.jpg
Filled in the cracks on these two mulie sheds and the deadhead. The right shed was found by my uncle and I found the left side 1-3 years later so it is much more weathered.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440380535.200865.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440380627.478790.jpg
The thin white lines is where I filled in the cracks. The trick with this stuff is to use a ton of water to work with it. Overall it's pretty easy to work with seeing as I can do a decent job with it lol.
Tomorrow I'm gonna try my luck with staining them, I worry the weathered spots might soak it up too much but what the hell its worth a shot.