Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Food "Plot"

Skeeter81

Hi guys! Just gearing up for my 2nd season living in Ohio and I only have access to about 6 acres, which I love. The owner doesn't want me to heavily plant anything or take trees down, etc. I do have corn out and a couple cameras. Last year there were only about 10-15 that would come in.

My question: Is there a food source I can spread around on the ground, other than corn or apples? Owner said he didn't mind me trying to create a little food plot but he didn't want a tractor, etc back there. It may be too late but I'm pretty much looking at raking an area and trying something on the top. Suggestions?

Appreciate the time and itching to try my new Tenpoint.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'd try some throw and grow seed. You can get that stuff at TSC. Clear an area of debris, broadcast it, rake it in, and pray for rain.

I agree with the throw and grow type of seed which can have several different thing in it that should grow some. Any kind of straight brassica mix may work as well. Key thing you will realize is don't expect a lot from minimal ground work. If you can, spray the area first with round-up (if the landowner will let you), mow it and then work it up with your rake enough to insure seed to soil contact. In a perfect world you'd do a soil sample and add lime and fertilizer accordingly.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The throw and grow stuff will work, but I'd just stick with corn/apples. I've been planting food plots for a decade now and started with a rake and some Biologic Hot Spot. Now I have access to real equipment and plant some exemplary food plots when we get rain. That said, nothing has ever drawn deer in like corn and apples. So having been in your shoes, save your time/effort/money and just put it towards corn and apples. Maybe invest in a nice gravity feeder. Set it up in some good cover, then hunt the trails leading to it; don't sit right over it. Make sure you can access the bait pile easily and without spooking deer every time you go in there.

Good luck!

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
The throw and grow stuff will work, but I'd just stick with corn/apples. I've been planting food plots for a decade now and started with a rake and some Biologic Hot Spot. Now I have access to real equipment and plant some exemplary food plots when we get rain. That said, nothing has ever drawn deer in like corn and apples.

Pears are a great draw for mature bucks if you have access to them.

Skeeter81

Appreciate the info gentlemen. My father in law actually owns a grocery store here so I hit up the produce manager about apples and pears starting to go bad. Pulled my first set up trail cam pics today and looks like I have a doe with triplets running around. Thought that was pretty cool