Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What DO You Collect?

Joe's axe restoration thread the other day was interesting. I'm sure all of us collect a thing or two.

My wife and I have collected fishing lures for about twenty years. This was more or less an investment first and a hobby second. We have been cashing out our investment over the last five years or so. This is why there are some empty spaces in the cases. So far it has been a pretty good 401K plan.

Attachments

• jbugs.jpg
    jbugs.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 77
  • mustangs.jpg
    mustangs.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 107
  • runts.jpg
    runts.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 80
I'll be darned Dick, that's something I never knew about you! Pretty damn cool!!! I've never really collected anything other than the two arrowheads, one good scraper and a few pre-forms I've found over the years. Always am looking for more in the streams and around the farm whenever I am down.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I collect US Military 22 caliber Trainer rifles. And they also have been a very good 401K investment tool. Now I'm branching out to German made Isreali 22 Caliber Trainers.

I used to collect and do Display Shows with Mossberg rifles. But I only kept the rare models and cashed out 60 plain Jane ones.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Man Dick. Those jitterbugs bring back some memories. As a kid I would pop them through the cypress trees and bass would hammer them.

Big Weff

Athens
I really get fired up about early 1970 enduros, none of mine are immaculate by any means and one still needs a lot of love but I'm not in any rush, I no longer have the Kawasaki but it was just a dick around project hahauploadfromtaptalk1439735747696.jpguploadfromtaptalk1439735784974.jpguploadfromtaptalk1439735817672.jpguploadfromtaptalk1439735852667.jpg

Those enduros remind me how dumb we can be when we are young. Never being able to drive a motorcycle, but loving to ride them was always a bummer. I got married for the first time in 1974. A year or two later my wife bought a new Suzuki 185 Enduro. We thought she could drive and we could ride it around town. That was a good idea, but I'm sure we looked a little odd with the girl driving and the man as the passenger. The good idea ended when we decided to ride this bike from Akron, Ohio to Ocean City, Maryland. Yes, we made it there and back, but my butt is still flat after that ride.

Like I said, we do some crazy things when we are younger.

Man Dick. Those jitterbugs bring back some memories. As a kid I would pop them through the cypress trees and bass would hammer them.

I hear ya, Joe. Jitterbugs were my dads favorite lure TOO. That was part of the reason we collected the Jitterbugs. The fact that they were made in the city we lived in had a bearing on it TOO. The five large lures in the one case are Pflueger Saltwater Mustangs. They made six colors, we have all six, I just never got the last one in the case. Pflueger was another company here in Akron.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I love the old Jitterbugs too!
I've thrown a lot of em over the years. Nice collection Dick!

Big Weff

Athens
Those enduros remind me how dumb we can be when we are young. Never being able to drive a motorcycle, but loving to ride them was always a bummer. I got married for the first time in 1974. A year or two later my wife bought a new Suzuki 185 Enduro. We thought she could drive and we could ride it around town. That was a good idea, but I'm sure we looked a little odd with the girl driving and the man as the passenger. The good idea ended when we decided to ride this bike from Akron, Ohio to Ocean City, Maryland. Yes, we made it there and back, but my butt is still flat after that ride.

Like I said, we do some crazy things when we are younger.
That's a heck of a long ride on a little enduro!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dick i have some old lures and reels in an old metal tackle box i have had for 35 yrs that an old guy gave me that he had way back and an old fly rod.
When i get time i will post some pics as i always wondered if they were worth anything.
The reel is new in original box with price tag still on it.
Looks like from back in the 50s maybe.
If he was still around he would be a 100+yrs old.So not sure how long he had them.

The only thing in the box worth anything is the Mann's Big George in the lower right corner. And even it isn't worth but $5 or so. In lure collecting, lure color is what it is all about. Common colors bring common prices. Rare colors bring some crazy prices. We've sold some Jitterbugs out of our collection for over $1000 each, and quite a few for better than $500. A few years back we sold a plastic Heddon Punkinseed for $2025. When the fella picked it up, he kissed it.

Post up some pics, Brian. You never know what a guy may have.

Arbogast, and most plastic lures have a habit of forming heavy deposits of mildew. This is because they are put in a tackle box while still wet. I've found that household ammonia and a soft bristle toothbrush work best for cleaning off the mildew. Tacklebox rubs, as collectors call them, and light paint blemishes can be carefully removed with 000 steel wool. After the initial cleaning I use clear coat car wax to bring out the gloss in the finish.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very interesting thread Dick. Loved the jitterbugs back in the day too! I collected coins back 40 years ago but stopped just a few years into it. Sheds is prolly the only thing I've collected since then.